need help choosing a vocal processor for live use

• Members

I need receommendations for a rackmount vocal processor solely for live use. My budget is under $400 used.

I use reverb, delay, chorus or doubler, and distortion. Most processors made for vocals do not have distortion, I would be willing to get a cheap processor like the virtualizer pro just for the distortion though.

I am new to rack effects, would general effect processors work fine for live vocals? I would prefer something made specifically for vocals w/ all my needs but will settle for a general processor if it will sound good.

Please recemmend some processors to look into. thanks.

• Members

For PA systems, we tend to spend our hard earned money to AVOID distortion on things like vocals, that's why you aren't finding those kinds of effects on the real processors.

Good all around effects units are the Yamaha REV-500, Lexicon MPX-100 or 110, and the Alesis Midiverb/Microverb 2, 3 or 4. All are well within your budget and are "easy" to use. None have a distortion effect that I am aware of.

• Members

You can do a decent things for $400.

TC M-One XL is cool for the cash, less than $350 new.

The TC M300 is even cheaper, but of course more limited in sounds and function.

I just picked up a used mint TC M2000 for $430 that I can't wait to tinker with...

If you're not in a hurry, you can find some good deals on used fx units off ebay. Lots of Lexicon, TC and such to be considered.

Archived