Simple question-Stereo mixer signal into a mono powered speaker

• Members

I play key and guitar in a band and before run my keys into our PA I first run them into a little 10 channel mixer that I picked up and then run the signal stereo out to the PA. For monitoring I picked up a HUGE Samson db500a Powered PA speaker.... no need for two.... obne is plenty loud for stage monitoring and for that extra upmh at outdoor gigs.

img_front.jpg

My delimma is that although I have seperate volumes for C-R and stereo out the Samson has only one input.

e4_1.JPG

Should I....

1) Just use a 1/4" Y-adapter

2) can I run the signal in stereo through the phones output without damading the powered speaker.

Nearl;y 10 years of gigging and it's always the easy stuff that stumps me. :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I play key and guitar in a band and before run my keys into our PA I first run them into a little 10 channel mixer that I picked up and then run the signal stereo out to the PA. For monitoring I picked up a HUGE Samson db500a Powered PA speaker.... no need for two.... obne is plenty loud for stage monitoring and for that extra upmh at outdoor gigs.

img_front.jpg

My delimma is that although I have stereo outs for CR outputs. The samson has only one input and I'd like to hear the signal in stereo.

e4_1.JPG

Should I....

1) Just use a 1/4" Y-adapter

2) can I run the signal in stereo through the phones output without damading the powered speaker.

Nearl;y 10 years of gigging and it's always the easy stuff that stumps me.
:confused:

• Members

Obviously, you're not going to hear "stereo" with one speaker as a monitor, right?

Anyway, a Y adapter should work, or you could go with in-ears (but then you'd have to get your guitar sound in there too).

The real question is, do you need to run a stereo mix into the PA? In most live situations, stereo ends up meaning that half the crowd will only hear half of your signal, and only the people who position themselves in the center of the room will get the stereo effect you're trying to put out. If it were my call, I'd pan everything all the way to the right or left, and then run a mono line out to the PA, and another mono line to the monitor from the CR output. Hell, this fix even cuts down on the cables you'll need by one.

I also don't know why the aux line didn't work for you. That's another easy solution.

Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about blowing anything up if you get a Y adapter and try it that way.

• CMS Author

Mono is the way to go.

If your keyboards have a mono output, use it. If not, use the mixer pan controls all to one side, and you can then use just one of the stereo outputs as you source to the speaker.

For the auxiliary no-sound problem, are you using the channel strip aux send levels ?

• CMS Author

I guess for small to mid sized clubs (100-200 people) there really is no benefit to running in stereo then? I'm playing in a loud rock band, not solo.

There's little advantage...not anything worth the extra effort. In some situations it's nice to have guitar or keys effects in stereo, but most of the time, as Old Steve stated, the effect is totally lost on a majority of the audience, who hear the closest speaker as the primary source, and a combination of room reflections and the further speaker to a much lesser degree, if at all. The louder the source and the room, the more the further speaker gets lost in room reflections.

IMHO stereo is best used to emulate a live environment in a small controlled space. Since you're already playing in a live environment, this is mostly not needed.

• Members

I guess for small to mid sized clubs (100-200 people) there really is no benefit to running in stereo then? I'm playing in a loud rock band, not solo.

Not really. Most small/mid sized clubs have enough issues with getting decent sound spread evenly throughout the place without any strereo image issues. Trying to get a real 'stereo' image will probably just result in the majority of the people in the place hearing an incomplete signal (only one side or the other).

Archived