dbx iEQ31 AFS question

• CMS Author

I'm pretty sure this is the same system used in the Driverack PA. It works by sensing a frequency that's starting to feed back, basically whatever exceeds a certain dynamic limit, not by how long that note is held. It hasn't affected sustained notes in my experience. My only complaint is the lag between a note feeding back and it being clamped, but this is unavoidable. For that reason I set mostly fixed filters and keep my peak volume well below the safe range, using only 4 live filters as 'just in cases'.

• Members

Craig is right- same circuits as in their Driverack.

I just got my IEQ31 two days ago and haven't had a chance to use it live yet. I do wish it had a highpass filter on it though, other than their 40Hz lowcut switch.....

Craig, have you used the Type III noise reduction feature on yours? comments on it?

• Members

I got my iEQ about 6 months ago, and I still don't really know how to use the damn thing. Somebody on the LAB told me once, but I can't remember exactly what he said. One of these days I should really set up that feedback thing. Maybe this weekend I guess.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Black Frog

Craig is right- same circuits as in their Driverack.

I just got my IEQ31 two days ago and haven't had a chance to use it live yet. I do wish it had a highpass filter on it though, other than their 40Hz lowcut switch.....

Craig, have you used the Type III noise reduction feature on yours? comments on it?

Hmmm, I'm guessing no, I haven't. Not because I don't want to, but because I didn't know it was on there.

My rig is pretty quiet, so I'm not sure it would be a good test case, but anyway, where's it located, menu-wise? I'll check it out tonite...

• Members

but anyway, where's it located, menu-wise?

I mistated, it should be "Type V noise reduction" instead of III.

No menu- it's on the front panel.

Left side, bottom-left button for each channel. Labeled "TYPE V NR". I believe it also has an indicator light for engagement. I don't have my unit in front of me to be sure....

If you have yours hooked up to a rig- I'd be curious to do some vocal things with and without the NR engaged and see if you hear any noise floor differences. I'll get to do it within the next couple of weeks as we are setting up the new rack and rig, but I'll have to wait to play. :(

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Black Frog

I mistated, it should be "Type V noise reduction" instead of III.

No menu- it's on the front panel.

Left side, bottom-left button for each channel. Labeled "TYPE V NR". I believe it also has an indicator light for engagement. I don't have my unit in front of me to be sure....

If you have yours hooked up to a rig- I'd be curious to do some vocal things with and without the NR engaged and see if you hear any noise floor differences. I'll get to do it within the next couple of weeks as we are setting up the new rack and rig, but I'll have to wait to play.
:(

I think we're talking about two different products. I've got the Driverack PA.Driverack PA

Archived