Hey Audiopile!

• Members

Mark, how far are you from Mt St Helens? I just saw a prediction that its gonna blow again. All that ash can't be good for audio gear:(

I remember the last time it erupted, We had ash all the way in MN it got into everything. Its got to be really thick that close to Oregon.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1

Mark, how far are you from Mt St Helens? I just saw a prediction that its gonna blow again. All that ash can't be good for audio gear:(

I remember the last time it erupted, We had ash all the way in MN it got into everything. Its got to be really thick that close to Oregon.

That would top the week off nicely. This has been a pisser of a week. I guess I'd better look to the west and see what else is coming my way.

I'm about 150 miles directly east of St. Helens; however, it's not how far away that's the issue, but more important is the direction of the prevailing wind... and I'm directly downwind. I'm close enough that I could clearly see everytime she let of a little steam getting ready for the big blow.

Last time she puked... we got about 3 inches accumilation here. It was pitch dark by mid afternoon. The gravel roads still bellow white St. Helen's ash. I tore my Harley down this summer and found St. Helen's ash under the shields for the fork stem bearings, and packed in tight around the alignment dowels for the shifter fork housing. I saved a coffee can full the day of the eruption... and I still have it, but I don't think I'd have a problem finding more if I ever lost that coffee can full.

I did invent a new drink last time St. Helens erupted and shut this whole area down for about a week. A little Pina Colada mix, a little gin, a bunch of grapefruit soda pop... fluffed up in a blender with a lot of ice. I was trying to finish up college then... and there wasn't much to do except play Foosball and have a beverage... cause you couldn't go anywhere or do much of anything.

All the audio gear is in Anvil cases, in the warehouse. Our inventory is all in shipping boxes wrapped in plastic... and in the warehouse too. All that stuff should be fine... if the roof don't cave in.

Well... thanks for the head's up.

• Members

My old geology professor told me that volcanic ash can really screw up an engine if enough gets in. When lava cools so fast that it doesn't have the time to crystalize into a different type of rock you get left with obsidian. Since obsidian is about a 9 on the mohs hardness scale and steel about 5.5-6, enough tiny little chunks of that get through the filter and into your engine they can tear it up pretty bad.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

We also have earthquakes out here...

Volcanos and fires... the ultimate "Shake and Bake" double-bill
:D

LMAO!! You could use our hurricanes to wash away the ash and extinguish your fires, and we could use your fires to dry up our floods. But I'm not too sure what we can use for the earthquake upsets.... Tums? :confused::(:rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by J.

My old geology professor told me that volcanic ash can really screw up an engine if enough gets in. When lava cools so fast that it doesn't have the time to crystalize into a different type of rock you get left with obsidian. Since obsidian is about a 9 on the mohs hardness scale and steel about 5.5-6, enough tiny little chunks of that get through the filter and into your engine they can tear it up pretty bad.

Well... my limited understanding of the subject:

There's basically two types of volcanism:

1) Mt. St. Helens type, which is a product of subduction zones. Mt. St. Helens erupts because the pressure becomes too intense from below.

2) Hawaiian type, which is a product of much deeper upwelling currents. Hawaiian volcanoes erupt because they erupt... kind of like picking a scab.

Hawaiian volcanoes have two types of outflow: Pahoyhoy and Ahah. The Pahoyhoy flows are pretty smooth. Ahah hurts your feet and makes you go: Ah-Ah when you walk over it because it's sharp and jagged. Anyway... both types flow forth from the Hawaiian volcanoes... and if blown into the air... or quickly cooled in water will set crystal structures that are tempered into pretty tough stuff.

Mt. St. Helens is a completely different critter. Since it's a subduction zone volcano... there's a lot of water included in the upwelling magma... and steam expands something like 1800 times the volume of water.... so the pressure builds until the overburden can't hold the pressure... then it blows... and doesn't flow. Most of the ash is basically dirt and pulverized rock (rhyolite) blown to bits by the exploding volcano. The silica portions of the rhyolite is the more abrasive stuff... which is basically glass... and yes... it's pretty tough on steel... and most other metals.

The Pacific Northwest and Snake River Plateau top soil is primarily rhyolite (downwind from a bunch of volcanoes)... which is really good stuff for growing crops.

Read up sometime on resurgent calderas (which is the driving force under Yellowstone). Pretty neat stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Loves_LPs

Jeez, Hurricanes at one end, and volcanos at the other! I sure hope nobody tries to top those!
:eek:
Steve

Unfortunately, the small Caribbean island of Montserrat HAS topped that. (George Martin had his A.I.R. Studios there.)

First, in '89, they were hit hard by category 5 hurricane Hugo (George packed up the Neves after that.) Then in '95, their volcano blew big time with constant heavy activity for the next several years (it's still burping even now.) The capital (which is the only town of any size) is presently buried under about 20 feet of ash.

And since we're sitting on top of two colliding plates, we also get a lot of earthquake activity....but mainly just tremors.

Other than that, the weather's real nice.:eek:

Archived