looking for heavy wire...

• Members

Originally posted by zuul777

anybody know or have any ideas where i can get some heavy duty cable?

what i want is to run two circuits 80-100'. so i'd like at least 10ga, at least 5 conductor (shared ground...6 separate grounds)

thanks guys

Somehow you will need to break out a shared ground safely and legally.

We sell the stuff too... e-mail me

• Members

I get most of my cable from a local electrical wholesaler. I'm not sure what's around your are, but I'm sure there's someone who has good prices on stuff. I'd say pick it up locally just because cable is so heavy, but shipping 100' might not be so bad. And 10/6 is probably going to be hard to find, so ordering it might be your only option. 10/5 will be a little easier to find, I'm guessing.

And it is against the rules to share a ground like that. It would probably keep ground loops from popping up, but it could also be a safety issue. Although, in the "poor man's distro," they do basically the same thing as you're talking about, where several circuits share a ground. But it's not up to code, and there is a reason for it.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

And it is against the rules to share a ground like that. It would probably keep ground loops from popping up, but it could also be a safety issue. Although, in the "poor man's distro," they do basically the same thing as you're talking about, where several circuits share a ground. But it's not up to code, and there is a reason for it.

Absolutely, and I busted that idea as well.

It's just not cool to be the dude known for making a "Dead Man's Distro".

And just so BillESC doesn't think I'm picking on him personally, I get paid a lot of money as a power system E.E. by doing safety audits and code application issues. 25 years of education AND experience beats "whatever dude, it's cool" every time. And there are guys far better detail-oriented than I will ever be out there... they LIVE AND BREATHE the freekin' code.

The NEC is a very complicated and convoluted document, where a little knowledge can be very dangerous. I am often surprised (and repulsed) by what I see out in the field. Often, I'm called in as a consultant after the venue gets busted for severe or multiple building electrical (usually) violations. I will work with them to broker a reasonable, safe and equitable solution that satisfies either the building official or sometimes it's the insurance underwriter. What's really scarey is what some clients are willing to do to "cover up" rather than correct serious peoblems. They just haven't understood that it's not THEIR choice anymore... I may be their last opportunity to make good before losing their certificate of occupancy... no agreeable (and completed) plan by me and it's over for them... then they can play hardball with the building dept. Generally, they operate on a "three strikes you're out" rule and I was the 4th strike.

AND it's for the safety and protection of every one of us... think "Great White" and Rhode Island.

Archived