y-cabling mics into the mixer

• Members

With a small mixer (8-channel) that I have right now, I'm one channel short of micing everything I need: 1 vox, 1 electic guitar amp mic'd, 1 acoutic guitar, 1 bass; that leaves me with 4 channels to mic the drum set.

I use Shure mics, 3 SM57s on snare, floor tom, and smaller tom, Beta 52 for kick, and one crappy vocal PG58 for overheads (I know, I know... but I don't have money for 2 good condencers for now.)

Well, the question is- can I use a y-cable (2 female ins => male out) to combine two mics into one mixer channel? If I do that, should I hook 2 toms together?

Thanks,

NS

• Members

Sure, I do this a lot. I tend to group the toms that get used the least on larger kits, like double floor toms or small 6"-8"s or 8"-10"s.

One question though: Are you playing large enough rooms to require overheads? I seldom ever use them. Vocal mic's normally catch cymbals on smaller stages.

• Members

Originally posted by J Kylez

Sure, I do this a lot. I tend to group the toms that get used the least on larger kits, like double floor toms or small 6"-8"s or 8"-10"s.

One question though: Are you playing large enough rooms to require overheads? I seldom ever use them. Vocal mic's normally catch cymbals on smaller stages.

Thanks! Well, this is for scratch recording purpuses (we feed off the mixer into the computer.) When we'll play live, we'll be playing small bars, so we probably won't even need to mic the whole drum set.

NS

• Members

Originally posted by NoSurrender

Well, the question is- can I use a y-cable (2 female ins => male out) to combine two mics into one mixer channel? If I do that, should I hook 2 toms together?

You can use a Y cable and it will make sound ... however ... it will change the frequency response of the mics (of course it depends on exactly what mics you use) because the mics expect to see a load of about 10 times their rated output impedance. When you Y them you are paralleling the mic's 150 ohms with the inputs 1.5k and ending up terminating the mic into a slightly lower Z than the rating of the mic alone. If you really must combine mics a better way is to make a custom Y with the legs in series. Combining transformer boxes are even better.

Of course none of this applies once you start talking phantom power.

• Members

If you're looking at getting a single space rack mixer, you might look at Audiopile's. I've never used one, and I'm not sure how it compares to the US Audio/Whirlwind one, but it's less than 1/3 the price. And it looks like that Whirlwind combiner is about half the price of the EWI mixer. Anyways, just thought I'd mention that.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

If you're looking at getting a single space rack mixer, you might look at
. I've never used one, and I'm not sure how it compares to the US Audio/Whirlwind one, but it's less than 1/3 the price. And it looks like that Whirlwind combiner is about half the price of the EWI mixer. Anyways, just thought I'd mention that.

Thank you!!

NS

Archived