Brother, can you spare a NAMM pass?

• Members

Hello. Long time HC guy but I don't get to this forum very often. I asked someplace else and was suggested to ask here, so....

I've just opened a guitar shop on line and I need to go to NAMM to test drive some new products/companies to sell and I need to find some suppliers for some accessories and stuff. I'm too late to join NAMM and get my own pass; I don't even qualify to join NAMM at this point 'cause I'm only doing business w/2 companies and they require 3, and both companies I'm doing business w/have already handed out their passes. Anybody got one to spare? I'll pay for it if I need to. I've yet to make travel arrangements and such; I'm holding off until I know I can get in. I'd truly appreciate it if anyone could help me out. My main buisness objective to give new guitar players quality instruments to start on for a reasonable price. I'm passionate about playing guitar and I don't feel it's right that the worst guitar in a company's line up is marketed as being "perfect for a beginner!":rolleyes: I need to find lower cost, quality instruments that will probably be more than a newbie is expecting to spend, but it's my job to convince them it's worth it in the long run. I don't sell junk; if I wouldn't be happy w/it, I won't sell it. I need to be at NAMM to SHOP for the goods I need to sell. My town is too small and doesn't carry 1/4 of the products out there.

Again, very thankful if anyone can help.:)

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by UGB

I'm too late to join NAMM and get my own pass; I don't even qualify to join NAMM at this point

You can purchase a visitor pass at Namm, right at the check-in desk, in the basement (I believe). Generally it's no problem to get a visitor pass, especially since you've opened a guitar shop. Just bring a copy of your business liscense and reseller's tax ID number.

Or... if you have a teenage kid... let Namm know. Judging by the endless hoards of teenage kids sporting "Visitor" passes at Namm... Maybe Namm would fly your kid out and you could come along as a guardian?;)

• Members

Seriously? I mean all I'd have to do is bring a copy of my buisness license and state tax reseller id#? It takes copies of reciepts of three legit suppliers in musical merchandise to qualify for a NAMM membership and I only have reciepts from two, Saga and US Music Corp. Do I have to get a visitor pass every day? Can I get one more than one day? There's so many more products/companies I need to check out. I've never seen or played a Cort guitar in my life but they have some stuff that's quite appealing to me. Other companies as well. I could bring fistfulls of copies of reciepts from Saga and US Music Corp.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by UGB

I appreciate that link, however, I can't get any of the links on that page, even the one that says 'link to current page' to work. I'm just cursed I guess.
:rolleyes::(:mad:

Well... them I'm cursed too. I think it's an internet "thing". I suspect tomorrow morning it will work fine.

Guest Anonymous

Well... here's a few Namm tips:

1) The street between the convention center and Disneyland is named Katella. Do not attempt to drive on it (between the convention center and Disneyland) for many hours after the show each night (or you will be there for a long, long time.)

2) All the really cool stuff is in the basement.;)

3) Across the side street to the N.W. corner of the convention center is Coco's... which is a good place for breakfast.

4) Saturday night you should find your way to the main floor of the Marriott.

5) Figure on walking from your motel room to the convention center if possible... do not try to drive and park. If you do drive, then do not attempt to enter an "exit" of a convention center parking lot.

6) There's more stuff "upstairs" (that took me a couple of years to figure out).

7) Forget about trying to be reached by cell phone inside the convention center (unless your cellphone vibrates).

8) Generally the American DJ booth (I think that's the one) is particurally entertaining at times (although they've toned it down in the past few years).

9) Buy your soda pop from a vending machine, not one of the consession stands... that is if you want the actual type of soda pop you order.

10) Late Sunday afternoon there's a brisk cash trade conducted of show samples at some booths.

11) Wait until you're about ready to head to the motel to load up on catalogs and printed material.

12) Enter every drawing.

13) Bring lots of business cards.

14) Usually Peavey and JBL have great lanyards (although I scored a Telefunken lanyard last year that I highly prize). Roland usually has great tote bags.

15) Do not expect to be recognizable to folks you are fixin to meet there because you: Are wearing a "Fender tee-shirt, you have long hair, and a few tattoos."

16) It is naive to look at a road map and say: "Look, Hollywood is right up here... we could be there in 30 minutes".

17) Day time temperature will be between 70 and 80 degrees.

18) There's a large strawberry patch about 2 blocks directly east of the convention center that sells FRESH strawberries (in January).

19) Check the prices on the menu at the steakhouse in the Marriott BEFORE you order.

20) The folks manning the exits/entrances of the Namm show (in purple coats) are convention center employees, not Namm employees.

21) If you find yourself bar-hopping with a limousine full of New York City publishers... remember: They're professionals and you're a rank amateur.

22) Bring a camera... you'll never be able to otherwise remember it all... or explain it.

• Members

Man, I truly appreciate the tips! I'm guessing the venue is about 34 miles from the LA airport. What's the best way to get to a hotel, cab? Do you know of a hotel that runs airport shuttles?

I'm going specifically to secure some new suppliers of:

1. Electric guitars

2. Electric basses

3. Acoustic guitars

4. Straps

5. Tuners

6. AMPS!!!!!!

7. Strings

8. Gig bags & cases

9. GUITAR STANDS!!!! (you wouldn't believe how hard it's been to try and find ONE supplier of these!)

and other stuff.

It's not as cut and dry as it seems; w/each company I must overcome two obstacles:

1. "We don't deal w/on line only retailers; you have to have a brick and mortar store to be a dealer for us."

2. "We already have a dealer in your town."

after those two, the pickin's is mighty slim.

I'm actually happy w/the two acoustic guitar companies I have, Washburn and Blueridge. In my opinion, it's hard to beat either in their respective price bracket for value. However, both have a thin neck profile and I'd like to be able to offer a line w/a thicker neck profile like Seagull/Norman/Art & Lutherie, but I'm fairly certain they fall into the #1 camp above. Takename and Alvarez are going to fall into #2. So maybe Yamaha?

I only have one brand of electric guitars and basses, Washburn, and while I find their products quite good, the WI14 at $150 is a KILLER guitar, I need more variety so I'm looking at Cort. They might fit the bill for acoustics too.

Amps are the toughest. The first reason being there's not that many companies out there, not nearly as many as guitar companies. Secondly, most fall into the #1 or #2 camp. I'd like to firm up something w/Laney, and at least one other company.

I'm looking at flying out Friday and coming back Sunday. How late do the booths/showrooms stay open on Sunday? I'll take all the tips you can throw my way. I'm not going to see endorsers play or get autographs or anything; that can come at a later trip down the road. Right now, this time, I really have to work on finding suppliers.

Guest Anonymous

Dude: You want to "fly out Wednesday" and "fly back Monday".

I always drive to the Namm show so I dunno how to get from the airport... but it's close to an hour's drive (during reasonable traffic flow)... but I think there are many shuttles to be had... maybe even city transit. I know the big buck motels have shuttles... There is a Disneyland/Anaheim convention center shuttle that's about $12.

I've dealt a little stuff on eBay... and I have some empathy (insight) with your situation although I've taken a different approach than you have... with possibly different objectives in-mind: eBay seller name: audiopile

I believe the show closes at 5:00pm on Sunday.

• Members

I don't know if I can afford that much time or that much money to be there for 4 days. I want to grow my business but do it in a managed fashion, so there's not a whole lot I'm going to be looking for. I'm sure I'll discover other things I could market while there, but I need to stay focused. There's some cyber buds I'd like to hook up w/if they're there, but the business is my objective.

I've not even made travel arrangements yet. While I'm glad to be able to 'conditionally' join NAMM, that's $195 out of the trip budget. I have no idea what a hotel is going to run.

Guest Anonymous

To the east and west of the convention center a couple blocks are a number of motels that run less than about $80 per night. Many of us low budget folks share rooms. The main convention hotel rooms are big bucks (and probably already booked full)... but there are advantages to rubbing elbows with the movers and shakers that stay in the main convention hotels.

You probably should be booking your motel room now. If you're on a budget, I suggest:

1) The Alamo

2) Abby's Anaheimer

3) Day's Inn

4) Red Roof

There's many other decent "off Broadway" motels... maybe other's here can help out?

You can't really do justice at the Namm show in a couple of days... trust me. I believe there are well over 1000 exhibitors... and only 8 hours a day to cruise the booths. And... you'll generally find it takes a couple of days just to get past being overwhelmed by it all... and ferreting out what you really came to find.

Thursday is the BEST day to get in some quality one-on-one contact with folks manning the booths. Friday and Saturday are crazy stupid. Sunday... most everybody's punting to the finish.

• Members

Wear comfortable shoes.

Be cordial to other people... there's enough attitude to go around already.

Avoid the $12 hamburgers at the convention center... they are not really $12 hamburgers. ;)

Keep the partying to a minimum in order to make the next morning productive.

Avoid Mark's booth at nap-time :D

• Members

I found a cheap hotel only 1.5 blocks from the Anaheim convention center. That's where the NAMM show takes place, correct? Man, to fly out Wednesday and come back Monday would about double what I was thinking about spending. Last night I did some shopping around on travel sites and I found an airfare/hotel deal to go from Thurs and return Sunday for just over $400. No layovers either!

I tried to search for 'Cort' on the NAMM show web site but it just locked up the search engine.:( I'd like to find out where each booth that I know I'd like to visit is located and map out a plan to visit them before I even go.

• Members

You may want to check into flights coming into Orange County/John Wayne Airport. It's closer and less crowded, will have more shuttle options into Anaheim and may actually be a cheaper flight. I have never been to NAMM, but I've been to Disneyland more than a few times. You may even want to log onto the Disney or Anaheim Chamber of Commerce websites to look for accommodations. The "non-Disney" hotels in the area, and there are lots of them, are actually quite cheap.

BTW, the Jolly Roger restaurant also fits the definition of "good 'n cheap"

D

Archived