Troubleshooting our practice PA-Mackie 808

• Members

In our practice space we set up a mini PA. We have a Mackie 808 running two old Peavey 12" mains (150 watts RMS) and two 15" no name sub cabinets (not sure what wattage) through which we put through keys, vocals, bass and guitar (through a POD). The Mackie supposedly has a built in crossover, yet it seems the bass is overpowering everything and distorting the keys vocals & guitar. Bass notes are constantly farting out the rest of the mix. I know the 808 boasts about 1200 watts of 'bridged' power, but the output is probably far less. Still it should be enough to run a pair of mains, some 15" sub cabinets, and one monitor wedge for practice?

• Members

The Mackie supposedly has a built-in crossover? Where did you hear that? That being said, you might be able to get by setting it for mains and monitors, and letting one of the amps run the mainds and the other run the subs. Although, the Mackie 808 amps don't like to push low frequencies too much.

• Members

I use a Mackie 808m and run two 12" mains from amp 1 and two 12" monitors from amp 2 with decent results. We also run one Yorky ls700p sub via a small crossover and the mixer out/amp 1 input which allows us to take the bass frequencies out of the mains, clearing them up for thier mid/high duty. We don't use this set up for much more than 75 people rooms, as most larger rooms here in Chicago have nice in-house PAs.

For practice, I would think that you should just be running vocals through the Peavey's. Maybe their just old, inefficent speakers. You shouldn't need the 15" subs unless your bass player is running a tiny bass amp and your drummer insists on micing the kick (lower volume = better practices!).

So I would recommend you run your two Peaveys through amp 1, a monitor or two through amp 2, and leave the subs for gigs. If you do want to run the subs then buy a separate amp and a cross-over (we use a $70 crossover by Rolls called the "Tiny Cross-Over), run a 1/4" out of your "Mixer out" jack to the input fo the cross over, anothe 1/4" from the high output of the crossover back into "amp 1 input" of the Mackie (if it's a newer model it will automatically feed just the highs back into the Mackie amp 1) and run the low output from the cross over into your separate amp which is connected to your subs.

This would be about a $400 fix I would guess. OR...just bag the subs for practice and play at lower volumes...

Archived