Wireless Mics - Need Recommendation

• Members

Ok, so I'm a keyboard player + I usually post in Keys, Synths + Samplers but I thought this question would be a good one for you folks here in the Live Sound + Production forum:

Periodically throughout the year I book my own gigs and I have to supply the PA (which consists of JBL EON15 G2's and a Mackie 1402 VLZPro - well, I hope to upgrade to a 1402, right now still using an MS1202) - as opposed to most of the time where I get the call as a sideman or a regular "sub" or just a pickup gig + the PA is provided by whoever hired me for the job ...

Sometimes, on those gigs where I have to supply the PA, I would like to add a hand-held wireless mic. to my arsenal of sonic goodies - for the occasional venues when I could really use it: the rare DJ gigs I do, the times when I have a female singer on the job who didn't bring her own mic. (or it's a piece of crap), etc... but I barely know diddly - or maybe just next to diddly - about wireless mics. :D

Some things I think I have learned:

- the more wireless "channels" (or is it "frequencies"?) the mic. is capable of using the better, since they can automatically switch from a "bad" channel to a "good" one

- the cheaper wireless mics. (say, under 200 bucks) are cheaper for a reason - they will have interference, noise, etc... - it is worth it to invest a few hundred into a unit if I'm buying one

- they all seem to require batteries - is this correct? What a pain in the a**...I wonder if any would run off "phantom" power - which my mixer has - which would eliminate the need to constantly buy batteries, or at least right before gigs where the system is to be used...

Also -

They all seem to be smaller than rack-mount size - I guess they might fit into one of those half-rackmount adapters, but then what about the antennae that are supposed to stick up?

Maybe I could get one of those sliding drawers for my rack to keep the system in + then only take it out to set it up when needed...

Please - enlighten me, oh wise sound+production gurus...

:cool:

• Members

Some of the more experienced here will answer the majority of your questions (which I am curious to hear also) but I would have to wonder how you would get phantom power to something that is not connected to the mixer?

Of course, maybe that's where the term "phantom" power comes from :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

• Members

Originally posted by Thundercranium

Some of the more experienced here will answer the majority of your questions (which I am curious to hear also) but I would have to wonder how you would get phantom power to something that is not connected to the mixer?

Of course, maybe that's where the term "phantom" power comes from
:D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Right -

Duh. :o

I guess you can send an audio signal thru the air (what wireless mics do to the mixer), but NOT electrical current - which is what phantom power is, eh? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by GigMan

Some things I think I have learned:

- the more wireless "channels" (or is it "frequencies"?) the mic. is capable of using the better, since they can automatically switch from a "bad" channel to a "good" one

Frequency agile units do not automatically switch frequencies.

- the cheaper wireless mics. (say, under 200 bucks) are cheaper for a reason - they will have interference, noise, etc... - it is worth it to invest a few hundred into a unit if I'm buying one

Around $300 is probably the cheapest to cinsider. Buy the very best you can afford. There have been several informative threads here about this.

- they all seem to require batteries - is this correct? What a pain in the a**...I wonder if any would run off "phantom" power - which my mixer has - which would eliminate the need to constantly buy batteries, or at least right before gigs where the system is to be used...[b/]

Somehow you need to get power to the transmitter for it to send the signal to the receiver (hand held thingie) and since there's no wires, the power comes from the battery. Phantom power comes from the mider and since the receiver plugs into the mixer, phantom power will not be much of a help.

Also -

They all seem to be smaller than rack-mount size - I guess they might fit into one of those half-rackmount adapters, but then what about the antennae that are supposed to stick up?

The 1/2 rack receivers generally come with rack mounting ears, and generally there are provisions for remote mounting the antennas to the front, or you can configure your rack for rear mount antennas. Metal racks hinder the rear mount options though.

Maybe I could get one of those sliding drawers for my rack to keep the system in + then only take it out to set it up when needed...

Please - enlighten me, oh wise sound+production gurus...

:cool:

Archived