Portable Generator

• Members

I want to be able to set up events for live music in areas where there will be no AC power. Does anyone have suggestions as to what the best kind of generators and necessary voltage regulators would be necessary to say power up an 8 piece band with full PA? Are there quiet generators too?

Guest Anonymous

This is the basic correct approach and is commonly used for your application:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42908&item=7504620707&rd=1

A common term to describe this would be a "festival generator".

This is the basic incorrect approach:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29520&item=4370411078&rd=1

Although it's commonly attempted.

• Members

For your needs, a rental is what you want, a nice big one. You might not need one as big as the one Mark linked to above, but it's going to be at least big enough to have a trailer hitch and wheels if it's going to be at all useful.

You might not like the price, but if you want "full PA" that's what you are going to have to pay.

• Members

That was good, I have seen some of the results with the 2nd/type LOL. I was actually hoping for something in between. I would guess that with a system like #1, you would not need additional surge/spike/regulator protection?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by in2dblues

That was good, I have seen some of the results with the 2nd/type LOL. I was actually hoping for something in between. I would guess that with a system like #1, you would not need additional surge/spike/regulator protection?

Probably no need for extra protection, but you will need:

1) Probably about 100ft. of feeder cable

2) A ground rod

3) Ground rod hook-up wire

4) A sledge hammer to drive the ground rod

5) Some way to remove the ground rod when you're done

6) Probably some sort of power distro

7) Possibly a permit

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Probably no need for extra protection, but you will need:

1) Probably about 100ft. of feeder cable

2) A ground rod

3) Ground rod hook-up wire

4) A sledge hammer to drive the ground rod

5) Some way to remove the ground rod when you're done

6) Probably some sort of power distro

7) Possibly a permit

The rental company can supply items 1-6, and help you with item 7.

• Members

I am definetly not a generator expert, but try someone local like Cat power for instance. I called Ohio CAT Power. They are very accomodating and should be SAFELY hooking you up. Make sure you ask if they will properly ground the generator. Heck, they'd probably rent some sort of distro too if you need it. Better safe than sorry here. I think they quoted me 400 dollars for 4 days worth of a big quiet generator. That's a good deal to me for good clean quiet power.

-Matt

• Members

At 1-800-rentstuff (or whatever it is :-) here in town, I believe they call it a WhisperWatt, 50 amps 3 phase I think. They make less noise than the little lawn mower sized generators. They can also supply 50 or 100' of feeder and a distro with outlets (usually 3 or 6).

Archived