Keyboard input on board

• Members

I have two inputs on my mixer that have 1/4" jacks labeled with a -10 dBu. What would be the proper way to plug a keyboard into this? Should I use a direct box? I want to run it from the stage through a snake which is has XLR I/O so I was looking at XLR tgo 1/4" converters, there's ones with transformers and ones without. I am not sure which would be the right one.

Any advice ?

• Members

Originally posted by bigmike216

those little transformer adapter barrel things aren't great, the transformer is so small that it gets saturated with a pretty low level signal. Look into a proper DI. Mark has a few for good prices.

I was planning on using a DI on the stage end before the snake. This would get me from the 1/4" output of the keyboard to the XLR input on the snake, then I would need to convert the XLR back to 1/4" at the board for the channel input. Not sure if the signal at that end needs to be changed from high to low impedance or something... :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

Peavey 1:1 Interface Plus on each end of the snake ... it'll handle a 3v signal. Then just use guitar cords from keys to box and box to mixer.

where can I find info on this thing?

• Members

Is the keyboard output balanced?

Is the line (1/4") input balanced?

If the answer to both is yes, all you need are adapter cables.*

If the answer to either is no, you still might get by with just adapter cables.**

Or, you might get a heck of hum because of noise pickup** or a ground loop*, in which case a 1:1 transformer (on the unbalanced end if something is unbalanced) should solve the problem.

Archived