Portable Monitor for One? (or, getting creative so the singer can hear)

• Members

Every now and then, we run across a small show where there are no monitors and they will not let us bring our PA.

I have a small powered mixer and a monitor, but what's the best way to split the vocal signal to have it input into our mixer, and then have a feed for the main PA?

If anyone has a specific part or method they use please do tell.

Thanks!

• CMS Author

Shure's psm200 IEM transmixer does this. If you can sneak an output off the PA, it'll let you mix your vocal with the main feed for a usable monitor mix.

Look at Rolls.com too, they have several small mixer/splitters designed to put a "more me" mix for your own monitor.

Keep in mind that most of these are counting on you having somew sort of mix to work with...and add your mic signal to it to hear yourself. Otherwise, you'll have to be content with only hearing your vocal. One of the Rolls devices will let you mix a mic and an instrument with a monitor feed.

• Members

Wouldn't the venue let you run a line from the "line out" into a powered speaker like a small Eon or something. You'd be getting same mix as FOH but it's better than nothing I'd think. I can't imagine a place not wanting their performers to have monitors,

you'd think they'd want them to sound as good as possible, especially if they bring their own...:confused:

• Members

True, but I think we've all been to places that had a marginal sound system but no one there who knew how to run it, so they say 'Don't touch ANYTHING because we have to pay the local music store or whomever to come troubleshoot after somebody screws with the stuff in the rack'. I played 1 place long ago and the guy washing dishes in the kitchen was also their 'house sound guy'. At least he dried his hands on his apron before he touched the board.

• Members

Originally posted by RainsongDR1000

I can't imagine a place not wanting their performers to have monitors, you'd think they'd want them to sound as good as possible, especially if they bring their own...
:confused:

We are talking about bars and bar owners, so it's probably best to suspend all notions of rational thought and reason... :)

• Members

Some other options:

Plug the mic into your powered mixer, then take the MAIN OUT to your monitor and send the LINE OUT to the house PA (assuming your LINE OUT is balanced).

Buy a small powered speaker, like an EON10, plug the mic into the speaker then take the LINE OUT from the speaker and send it to the house PA.

ART Tube MP. Plug the mic into the MP, take the 1/4" output from the MP and plug into your powered mixer/monitor and take the XLR output from the MP and send it to the house PA.

• Members

Originally posted by ratthedd

Some other options:

Buy a small powered speaker, like an EON10, plug the mic into the speaker then take the LINE OUT from the speaker and send it to the house PA.

ART Tube MP. Plug the mic into the MP, take the 1/4" output from the MP and plug into your powered mixer/monitor and take the XLR output from the MP and send it to the house PA.

Both of these sound like they'd work well if all you wanted was the one vocalist to hear him/herself.:)

Archived