Since you guys know everything---

• Members

I need to know what will remove super glue(Stew-Mac #30) from my Strat without harming the paint. Due to a "wardrobe malfunction" at last night's halloween party, I got a few dabs of super glue on the body of my Mexi-Strat(it's black). I'm sure it's not lacquer or nitro.

I tried soaking the area with a wet paper towel, but it didn't soften it at all. I always thought super glue was water soluble.

I'm afraid anything that will cut the glue will eat the paint.

Anyone know what will work? Of course, it's in a VERY visible spot, and sanding, etc. will not be desirable.

Thanks,

Texas jim

• Members

Ohhhh not a good thing!

Acetone is the solvent of choice for super glue (cyanoacrylate) adhesives as well as (most likely) any finish your guitar is likely to have on it. I would suggest talking with a luthier that has a lot of experience repairing finishes.

• Members

I'm past the point of caring about stuff like that.... dings, scratches, superglue... my guitars have some

my reasoning is this: does the guitar sound any different because of cosmetic alterations?

don't get me wrong, I am careful with my equipment, but accidents happen and I don't feel like spending money on cosmetic issues.... but hey, I respect people who do...

I mean, if SRV would have cared about the looks of his #1, man, he would have been miserable...

maybe I'd be pissed if I'd ding a week old Les Paul or PRS, but I'm sure I'd get over it...

anyways, just my 2 cents

• Members

Originally posted by happyguitar

I'm past the point of caring about stuff like that.... dings, scratches, superglue... my guitars have some

my reasoning is this: does the guitar sound any different because of cosmetic alterations?

don't get me wrong, I am careful with my equipment, but accidents happen and I don't feel like spending money on cosmetic issues.... but hey, I respect people who do...

I mean, if SRV would have cared about the looks of his #1, man, he would have been miserable...

maybe I'd be pissed if I'd ding a week old Les Paul or PRS, but I'm sure I'd get over it...

anyways, just my 2 cents

I agree, my fav guitar has a ding in it where i dropped it at a gig. It was an amazing gig and that ding reminds me of it:thu:

• Members

happyguitar & lewie: I understand that a mexi-Strat ain't exactly a vintage guitar, but it's a good player that I've been gigging with for fourteen years and I had yet to put a ding on it. It only cost $275.00 new and is probably worth half that.

My $2000.00 Taylor has been to a thousand gigs and shows it. Somehow, an acoustic just seems to be a bigger target.

Texas Jim

• CMS Author

Definitely talk to a luthier. As agedhorse said, the solvent for cyanoacrylates will dissolve or soften the finish too. Depending upon penetration of the glue into the finish (assuming it penetrated at all), it may not even be possible to buff the glue off, but buffing or wet-sanding with 1000 to 2000 papers might at least level the surface enough to make the discoloration less noticable....it might look like a paint flaw. If you're really lucky and there was no penetration, it might buff off completely.

Archived