Yamaha REV500: HELP

• Members

The boys recently upgraded to a pair of JBL MP412s and a pair of SRX718s powered by QSC PLX 3402 and 2402 with Yorkville NX20 monitors.

They used a Behringer MX3282A mixer (considering upgrading to a mix wizard).

They played over the weekend and used no effects. They have a chance to add the REV500 (good condition) for $250.

What do you think? Need to decide tonight. They have a Roland SDE1000 (haven't used it yet) and are beginners with effects.

Thanks again.

• Members

It's a decent unit, and that's an OK price for one.

I find that Yamaha FX units tend to be very "bright" sounding, and for this reason I tend to use them on drums more than anything else.

I think that the REV500 for reverb, along with the SDE1000 for delay, would give you some very useable effects for the time being. If, in the future, you decide that you want a warmer reverb for vocals, the REV500 would still be useful for other things. Then again, you might not need anything warmer, so you could just ignore what I just said. :)

One of the main advantages of the Yamaha units is having the control knobs right on the face of the unit. The layout is very easy to work with.

• Members

Thank you very much They were hoping to use it for vocals. The SDE1000 was $75 and $250 is about all they can spend on reverb. They like the knobs and the display rather than menus and it sounded like this was a unit they could learn something while using.

They have a dbx picoverb which they have used in the past. would they be better off waiting and spending less on a quadraverb or miniverb or a lower level lexicon other something entirely different?

• Members

The REV-500 is a great piece, especially considering the user interface. You can get some good delays with the REV-500 if I recall correctly. I have one in the "C" rig along with an SDE-1000 and it's quite serviceable. I prefer a dedicated delay when I need a delay, but no reason whaythe REV-500 wouldn't work as a delay unless you need verb and delay effects on different sends at the same time.

• Members

They were under the gun and had to make a decision last night. they found a TC M one XL for a little over $300 and went with that. I thought the REV500 was ideal for their level of experience, but I guess they will figure out how to use the M one XL with time.

thank you for taking time to respond last night.

Archived