Just got back from a concert...

• Members

Micheal Tolcher, Gustar, and The Roots at an aids benefit concert at my school. National Audio did the sound, I got to be part of the crew. I walked in around 2pm after they had loaded in. About 5000 people expected.

It was the worse rider violation I have even heard of. 100K watts became less than 50K. "Midas Heritage, Nothing else will suffice," yeah National showed up with some yama pm5's, which were still decent. No one seemed to care though, and it was good.

I was suprised that they only used 6 ev xlcs ground stacked per side, seemed like it wouldnt be enough. But as soon as the concert started, i realized that Micheal Tolcher was the best live act i have ever seen, closely followed by the roots. Goes to show that even less than 50% of what the rider calls for is still way sufficient in most cases.

Gustar, however, is a different story. They roll in with there own boards and iem system. The brand new digidesign board foh and a midas H3000 for monitors. Guess what, it was total crap. I left during there set it was so bad.

The Roots went last and man, for a hip hop slash rap group, they are an outstanding bunch of musicians. The National engineers got back on there pm5's and the sound was crystal clear and all around excellent.

The moral of this story is that its the engineer who makes the sound, not the equiptment they are using.

• Members

At the professional level, there can be a lot of give and take depending on the situation and what is being offered.

The 50kW vs 100kW is only a 3dB max SPL issue anyway, so it could have been virtually un-noticeable anyway. That's still 10 watts per person, plenty for virtually any indoor rig of that calibre.

As far as consoles, there are folks who prefer 4K's or 5K's over Midas, Soundcraft etc, so it's really no big deal if it's cool with the acts.

I did a show over the summer, an Asian act that was touring the states and they spec'd Soundcraft but were relieved when they discovered they would be getting a Yamaha for this gig. Their rider was not really waht they wanted, but was left over from a previous European tour with a different engineer.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Good example of how production mis-understandings happen... your post said PM-5's and I assumed 5k's and you ment 5D's. Both are good consoles but could make for some wide-opened eyes on show day:D

Yeah I think the company was real lucky that The Roots and Micheal Tolcher didn't have real engineers to run there stuff, because I don't think they would have been happy switching to a digital console.

Im glad i got to see those boards though, there really sweet and after hearing what happened, I think my opinion of digital consoles has changed.

edit: just remembered something that really blew me away. as we were loading out i went to coil a snake next to the keyboard area, and i noticed that the di's used for a triton and some other extremely expensive keyboard were BEHRINGER DI BOXES!! blows me away.

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

edit: just remembered something that really blew me away. as we were loading out i went to coil a snake next to the keyboard area, and i noticed that the di's used for a triton and some other extremely expensive keyboard were BEHRINGER DI BOXES!! blows me away.

I just saw Darkane, Strapping Young Lad and Soilwork a few days ago. Darkane's guitarists were using no stage amps, all going into Behringer V-Amp or V-Amp2 little POD ripoffs. Soilwork or SYL, I can't remember, their keyboardist was running through a basically Behringer signal chain -- really nice keys/synths running into a Behringer UB602 mixer, through a Behringer DI for each keyboard, and one was running through a V-Amp2 modeler.

• Members

Originally posted by sideswipedv

they probably got sick of some Dumb a$$ roady killing their 200 dollar DIs and figured they could just throw the behringers away if they were damaged

When we do shows, the stagehands rarely (if ever) touch the microphones or DI's. The stage manager grabs his mics and DI's and we grab ours. Stagehands get heavy stuff.

-Dan.

• Members

Yeah, Michael Tolcher performed with Gavin DeGraw at my college last year (University of Mary Washington). I was the photographer from the area paper and I got to meet Tolcher as well as DeGraw. While DeGraw was a bit of a dick, Tolcher was a very very cool guy. Soundworks from Richmond ran sound and it sounded amazing, but I do believe it was a Midas board they were using.

Archived