Different mic than pg57 for baritone vocals?

• Members

I have a baritone voice that is also sometimes deep and bluesy. I'm using an pg57 and am not happy with the sound. I'm guessing that an sm57 would only be slightly better than my pg57.... Is there a different mic that you would recommend for my live vocals with a loud rock funk blues band???

• CMS Author

Try everything you can get your hands on. There's no one particular mic that anyone here can assure you'll be happy with. Generally speaking you might be a lot more happy with SM or Beta series mics than PG's, but again, test every mic possible. I know it's hard to try a mic in a store and know if it's going to suit you, since most don't allow returns on vocal mics.

• Members

My modest opinion is:

SM-58, have 4 of them now, My first sm58 is 13 years old, and it sounds as new , and now i bought it a 13 dollar new grille and looks awesome.

It sounds great, unbreakable, And it is one of those instrument items that are standard in the music industry.

Beta 58: is just 15 days old sounds really great (very warm), but dont know its durability.Has a lot less feedback problems than my other mics (tried that today by the way)Thats a big plus..More mids(can be an advantage or disadvantage depending eq)

SM-57:2 days old. tried it today.Dont want to misinform you with this one: Its great but... I guess its THE live instrument mic.At least always seen them in front of a guitar amp hundreds of times.Seen it in little gear gigs and 500000 dolar MEYER Sound gigs.(by the way i could TOUCH a Yammy PM5 mixer that day).

Back to the mic, i prefer the sm and beta 58.Also it LOOKS quite more fragile than the 58 with the plastic cap (but its just an asumption since i have it just hours ago)

So my friend... buy a sm58 You cant go wrong with the price/quality/reliability of this one

Dont know your voice force or texture, but in my tequila karaoke moments, Ive made sound ,"very bad singers" in regular ones(still out of tune but warm!) and regular in "Hearable" ones

regards

• Members

Note: All references are to the Beta A series.

The 58 requires more low mid eq around 400hz than the 57, and IMHO the top end is smoother in the 57 than the 58. Also because of the shape of the headshell, the vocalist can get closer to the 57 capsule than the 58, great for soft singers. the 57 has less of a proximity effect. The 57 has better rejection than the 58, it'll get louder in monitors.

The 58 is good, but I prefer the slightly more hi-fi sound fo the 57.

Archived