Peavey 24FX Mixer???

• Members

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has used this mixer or what you might have heard about it. I'm looking at buying this mixer as it will be an upgrade from what we have now (an old peavey RQ series Peavey, 18 channels). I'm in a 5 peice band with 3 guitars, 3 vocals, a bass, sometimes a keyboard, and drums. I need enough channels on the mixer so that I can mic everything. I also like the fact that this mixer has some effects built in and has USB ports for recording and such. If anyone could give me the scoop on this mixer and how performs, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Zach

• Members

Right now there are very few of these out in the real world being beta tested so I don't think you'll find anyone with any firsthand info except me and Soundman (who's the project engineer).

If you liked your RQ you'll like this even better. It's got quieter, better sounding mic pre's and more auxs for monitors. It doesn't just have "some" effects ... it has the best digital effects we've ever done and it has 27 band graphics (or can be switched to PEQ's), comp/limiters and delay on the outputs. Oh yeah, it does streaming USB for recording or you can record mP3s directly by plugging in a USB stick.

• Members

Awesome! Looks like we're gonna be pickin' this mutha up as soon as possible. Can Peavey dealers get a hold of them right now or no??? If not, when will they be available? Soon I hope. Our PA will consists of 2 SP 2's, 2 SP 118's, 2 Peavey 2600's bridged, 4 PV 12M monitors + Peavey 1500, a VSX 26 crossover, and hopefully the 24FX...SOON! Thanks for the help dboomer!

Zach

• Members

I too am tapping my fingers waiting...waiting...waiting...

The delays are killing me.

One of my bands (the one that will be using this mixer) has been on gigging hiatus since late last year (when the mixer was supposed to be released as I understood it). We start gigging again next weekend. I was so hoping to have this mixer in hand. We're going to be using a hodgepodge of stuff to make the gig work...submixing the drums...blech!!

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

The delays are killing me.

One of my bands (the one that will be using this mixer) has been on gigging hiatus since late last year (when the mixer was supposed to be released as I understood it). We start gigging again next weekend. I was so hoping to have this mixer in hand. We're going to be using a hodgepodge of stuff to make the gig work...submixing the drums...blech!!

Look at it as a character builder....;)

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Yeah, I've been putting off buying a new mixer till it comes out too.

However, I'm a strong believer in doing things fast, but not in a hurry.

So I don't mind too much that it is taking longer than seemingly expected.

rar

• 1 year later...
  • Members

ok i have questions too. why is there no hookup diagram for this in their manual,like in a mackie mixer manual? im just learning this,i also want to be able to hook up other fx processors,can i do it with this? i love the look and fx and regardless what people say,ive never had problems with peavey stuff.

I will be running qsc powered speakers and subs,and using in ear monitors, so is this the right mixer for me? i presently have a mackie 24/8.

• Members

Got my 24FX about 2 weeks ago. One thing I will say to those of you who are waiting for one, keep looking and disregard all backorder arrival dates. I sat through five date changes between October and this month, just waiting on that board to come in.

Check your local box dealer (ie. Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.) I would rather go somewhere else as well, but that's how I ended up finding mine. Checked my local Sam Ash, had the salesman match the price my online salesman was giving me (which was an unbelievable price), and he ended up finding two of them in King of Prussia, PA. I had one within 3 days.

As for the board itself. Very quiet, lots of features and functions (which don't eat up processor ability as quickly as I thought, 6 Aux mixes (4 pre / 2 post), etc. Still working with it and finding combinations that I like best. I will say that the effects seem a little overbearing. They're not bad, they just take a good bit of tweaking to get them to fade into the mix better.

Overall, definitely an awesome new mixer.

• Members

cmon need some answers on this unit?

What do you specifically want to know? There's been some pretty decent descriptions of it's performance and features.

Good quiet preamps, decent effects features, usb I/O for computer interface, USB I/O for recording straight to a memory stick, Group routing options, dedicated internal effects control through Aux 6 and 7 on every channel, 4 pre fade Aux sends for monitors, ability to bypass internal effects for patching into 6 and 7, decent output "effects" such as a limiter, feedback ferret, and a few different output configurations (ie. stereo, dual mono, and subwoofer mode), etc.

The effects are pretty good but not very transparent if used in their stock configurations. You can manipulate pretty much every aspect of each effect to tailor it to your desires. The onboard mp3 conversion and recording to USB memory stick function is nice and clean but takes a little bit of time to load and begin recording.

The feedback ferret is a great feature and is pretty darn effective. Being the first time I've ever really messed with such an option, I was impressed with it's performance and speed.

The limiter is very effective. I never really use the different output configurations so I haven't really tried them yet. The Effects control panel in the master controls allows you to send your internal effects to both Aux 1 and Aux 2 monitor mixes if you wish to.

The only real drawbacks that I found with the board would be the global phantom power, which really isn't a big deal, and the rate at which the board's digital effects options start to eat up the processor's performance. The LCD screen will inform you what percentage of the processors capabilities you are using as you add features into your mix. Once you reach 100%, you're obviously maxed out. If you've built your options and you are sitting at 92% and the effects chain that you want to build requires 19%, the mixer won't let you add them and will tell you how much you need to clear up to use them.

The recording function and the onboard effects are the things that seem to eat up the majority of the processor's abilities. I found that you can easily run a stereo recording, output limiter, feedback ferret, parametric eq, and around 3 -4 effects (chained or split between the two Aux sends) before you start reaching that max performance range.

If you need more info, feel free to ask...

• Members

right now i have a mackie 24/8 mixer w/bridge........very big very heavy and has sep power supply,with the fx24 its more compact and i just want it for live app.So can you use the efffects in it along with seperate fx processors? say use the rev in it on the drums and the delay on backup vocals, then ill use my m-one xl and dtwo delay on my vocals? i dont know much about mixers at all,just learnin someone else setup my mackie for me.

ill need 10 ch for drums

4 ch for 2 gtrs

1 ch for bass

3 ch backup singers

2 ch for lead vox

so the fx 24 should be enuff?

• Members

What do you specifically want to know? There's been some pretty decent descriptions of it's performance and features.

...clipped...

If you need more info, feel free to ask...

I have a 16FX, and was wondering what you chose to do to make the effects more neutral. I'm using it primarily for vocals and wanted a doubled/fuller sound like Ozzy or Bon Jovi 80's. Present but not long trail delays. WHat effects are you using.

Thanks.

• CMS Author

right now i have a mackie 24/8 mixer w/bridge........very big very heavy and has sep power supply,with the fx24 its more compact and i just want it for live app.So can you use the efffects in it along with seperate fx processors? say use the rev in it on the drums and the delay on backup vocals, then ill use my m-one xl and dtwo delay on my vocals? i dont know much about mixers at all,just learnin someone else setup my mackie for me.

ill need 10 ch for drums

4 ch for 2 gtrs

1 ch for bass

3 ch backup singers

2 ch for lead vox

so the fx 24 should be enuff?

You can't use the internal effects and an external effects unit on the same two aux sends. One or the other on each. BUT....you can use the 2 internal effects via the aux's and use an external effect on an individual channel with an insert cable to that channel.

• Members

I had a 16fx and a 24fx. Neither will record very well to a memstick. I can load up songs from my computer to play and it works fine but recording is distorted. I hope future upgrades will include a recording level meter that works. I also wish the soloed channel would light up someplace other than the signal light. All channels with signal are lit which one did I solo .....OH NO!

I have also had the DSP lock up during recordings and there was no way to save them.

I traded my Fx16 for a Mixwizard :-)

• Members

I have a 16FX, and was wondering what you chose to do to make the effects more neutral. I'm using it primarily for vocals and wanted a doubled/fuller sound like Ozzy or Bon Jovi 80's. Present but not long trail delays. WHat effects are you using.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's the situation I am working on right now. The majority of the bands I have been using it with have been bluegrass and blues based bands where vocal representation needs to be pretty close to natural. As they are programmed, most of the reverbs on the FX series are so thick that they are overbearing for these situations.

Alot of my experimentation was done via headphones at my desk at home. Altering the decay and wetness levels. Decreasing these will allow you to thin those reverbs out a little and make a more natural sound. You can also decrease your delay time and tap on the delay features. Pretty much just take a weekend and hook up your board with a monitor or main on the floor next to you (or across the room on a tripod for that matter). Use your own vocals with all of the effects and see what is most appealing for you. Then, start backing down those wetness and decay levels until it reaches a transparency that you like. You can save those settings and recall them later, but the acoustics of the room you are working in will obviously effect the sound.

I'm no pro when it comes to effects, as my background runs mainly through bluegrass, americana, and folk artists, but with enough experimentation on my own time, I'm starting to find combinations of effects that I like. Of course, there's effects on there that I have no idea about that sound ridiculous to me at them moment. Just gonna take some time and experimentation to tailor them to my tastes.

As for your specific sound requests, Ozzy etc. I will have do some research and start to compare before I would even begin to recommend where to start. Give me some time though and I'm bound to come back to you with some ideas. Ha ha ha, I get bored really easily and find myself sitting over there with headphones and a mic.

• Members

I had a 16fx and a 24fx. Neither will record very well to a memstick. I can load up songs from my computer to play and it works fine but recording is distorted. I hope future upgrades will include a recording level meter that works. I also wish the soloed channel would light up someplace other than the signal light. All channels with signal are lit which one did I solo .....OH NO!

I have also had the DSP lock up during recordings and there was no way to save them.

I traded my Fx16 for a Mixwizard :-)

Keep your recording level at a reasonable level (ie. 0db - 4/6db) You can always alter those levels later in something as simple as Audacity. You can monitor it with headphones during the recording. If I am not mistaken setting your headphone volume at 0db will give you the true representation of what your recording level will sound like. Therefor, you can raise or lower it as needed to get the volume you need without any distortion.

• Members

Keep your recording level at a reasonable level (ie. 0db - 4/6db) You can always alter those levels later in something as simple as Audacity. You can monitor it with headphones during the recording. If I am not mistaken setting your headphone volume at 0db will give you the true representation of what your recording level will sound like. Therefor, you can raise or lower it as needed to get the volume you need without any distortion.

I keep all my levels at or below 0db and everything sounds great live. But the recordings suffer. I don't remember where my headphone level was at but I don't recall anything in the manual that says the headphone output is linked to the recording input. I found a setting in the DSP to raise the input but I can't set it below 0. If I lower all my levels throughout I might get better results recording but then the live sound suffers.:confused:

• Members

do you think its better than what i have mackie 24.8,i want it for live use,easy to use,easy to set up,for a hard rock band,im using qsc 3 ways and will add the qsc powrd 18 bottoms to it,and we want to go in ear monitors. for drums and bk vocals id like to use on board fx,my lead vox,i have tc stuff.ive looked at carvin and mackie 24/4 onyx,yamaha etc... however peavey makes some tuff ass gear,roadworthy!

• Members

I keep all my levels at or below 0db and everything sounds great live. But the recordings suffer. I don't remember where my headphone level was at but I don't recall anything in the manual that says the headphone output is linked to the recording input. I found a setting in the DSP to raise the input but I can't set it below 0. If I lower all my levels throughout I might get better results recording but then the live sound suffers.
:confused:

No, I didn't mean that the headphone level was directly linked to your recording level. All I was saying that is that, if I am thinking correctly, a 0db level on your headphones should give you a true representation of all of your levels. I could be wrong on this, but it's what I am assuming based on unity gain and the fact that all of your other levels are based on 0db being unity.

• CMS Author

do you think its better than what i have mackie 24.8,i want it for live use,easy to use,easy to set up,for a hard rock band,im using qsc 3 ways and will add the qsc powrd 18 bottoms to it,and we want to go in ear monitors. for drums and bk vocals id like to use on board fx,my lead vox,i have tc stuff.ive looked at carvin and mackie 24/4 onyx,yamaha etc... however peavey makes some tuff ass gear,roadworthy!

They are two very different mixers. The FX is intended for live use, so it may be more suitable to you. It's definitely smaller!

You can use your effects as intended. Send the backing vox and drums to internal effects...you can split drums and vox to the 2 aux's for different effects on each. For the lead vox channel, use your TC on that channel's insert. Assuming you haven't used both TC channels you've got one more effects engine you could insert on one more individual channel.

• Members

I keep all my levels at or below 0db and everything sounds great live. But the recordings suffer.

That's because you are probably running right up and just over the edge of distortion. You don't hear it in the live (analog) outputs but digital distortion is not so forgiving. If you were to analyze your recordings I'm sure that you would see you hit "full scale"

btw ... recording level was added in software updates.

Archived