MixWiz: 16:2 or 14:4:2?

• Members

Am considering upgrading to a decent mixer for use in various situations: full band (4, 5, 6 pieces or more, on occasion ), trio, duo... for vox, keys (mine), mic'ing instruments/amps, cd music, etc...

I've owned Samson (hiss!:p) and currently use Mackie (boo!;) ), and a still have a little Rolls RM203x 2line mixer which is actually pretty cool (yay! :thu: ) but I'm not using it anymore and willing to sell if anyone needs a decent little line mixer)...

Am considering taking the plunge for the Allen & Heath MixWiz - having read numerous reviews/opinions here and elsewhere, giving almost unanimous raves. Also my school (where I work) has a 16:2 MixWiz3 and I've checked it out - solid as a rock, really well built, just as everyone says.

But I've noticed the 14:4:2 version & and am wondering what advantages/disadvantages it has that the 16:2 does or doesn't have. :confused:

I mean, I kind of like that fact that there are two dedicated stereo channels - but you have less mic. inputs as a result, right?

I found the quote below:

The 16:2 was aimed at live use, the 20:8:2 at recording and the 14:4:2 was nicely aimed in between the two with, for example, HP Filters and EQ in/out switches and so on, plus also had a few nifty tricks up its' sleeve to configure it as a 6 bus live monitor console .... so very vesatile, clean and I think a nice investment.

...from a post on Gearslutz.com -

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=38983&highlight=soundcraft

Can anyone confirm or deny that particular info/opinion?

• Members

Thanks Dan -

But I guess I'm not really clear on the difference between Aux. Sends & Subgroups. The MW 16:2 has six Aux. sends, but the 14:4:2 model has 4 subgroups... :confused:

...but actually the lack of effects on the 14:4:2 makes the choice clear for me: I'd rather have the internal effects of the 16:2 - I could always use an outboard unit later on if I don't like 'em.

Am currently using a Lexicon MPX110 - for basic reverb, delays. Was wondering if the A&H MixWiz 16:2 internal effects will be at least on the same par with the MPX110, hopefully a step up?

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Thanks Dan -

But I guess I'm not really clear on the difference between Aux. Sends & Subgroups. The MW 16:2 has six Aux. sends, but the 14:4:2 model has 4 subgroups...
:confused:

...but actually the lack of effects on the 14:4:2 makes the choice clear for me: I'd rather have the internal effects of the 16:2 - I could always use an outboard unit later on if I don't like 'em.

Am currently using a Lexicon MPX110 - for basic reverb, delays. Was wondering if the A&H MixWiz 16:2 internal effects will be at least on the same par with the MPX110, hopefully a step up?

Aux sends are additional outputs for Monitors (prefader) & FX (post fader) - each channel can be added to this output as needed.

for FX you would go into the FX processor and return to a channel or aux return (nick name for very limited input channel usually used for returning FX)

For monitors you go into a monitor EQ/amp/speaker

The FX are decent, to make them shine you can download A&H software and edit them to your liking.

• Members

the group im with now has the 14:4:2 and im extremely disapointed in it because it only has 10 mic inputs. the subgroups, I believe were solely implemented so you can switch out the subgroup faders with the aux masters, making it a good choice for a monitor board, but then you get to the fact that it only has ten mic inputs and you're pretty much screwed unless you are a trio. I believe the design of this board is the one place A&H went wrong in the mixwiz line. who needs subgroups with only ten mic channels? they should have designed a monitor board closer to the crest small profile monitor board, with 16(or 18?) mic inputs, 12 auxes, and faders for each aux master.

I really like the 16:2, and the 14:4:2 is well made, just not thought out too good imo.

• Members

With syslink you can use a 14:4:2 as the master & add either another 14:4:2 or a 16:2 to add channels. The 16:2 can only act as a slave. If you use 2 14:4:2's then all the inputs on the slave unit map to all the master controls on the master unit, giving you doble the # of channels. I don't know exactly what happens if you add a 16:2 to the 14:2 since the channel strips don't have the same functions (no subgroup assigns) I assume those channels are just assigned left & right and to the aux buses.

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

who needs subgroups with only ten mic channels? they should have designed a monitor board closer to the crest small profile monitor board, with 16(or 18?) mic inputs, 12 auxes, and faders for each aux master.

I'm still not clear exactly what subgroups are?

• Members

I'm still not clear exactly what subgroups are?

Put simply you assign all your drum mics to a sub group or pair of sub groups and then you have a 'master' fader/faders just for the drums. These masters feed the main mix. Then if you want more drums you push up the master fader for drums a little instead of pushing all the individual channels up a bit. Doesn't have to be drums, can be any like type instruments e.g. guitars, keys etc.

Groups allow you to:

* Insert Dynamics/EQ over a whole type of input if you're short of outboard

* Provide mixed outputs for recording e.g. Drums sub mix, keys submix for 8 tracking

* Give you control from the master section.

IMO completely pointless on such a small board because you can reach all the faders anyway

Hope that helps

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by ja22y

While we're on the topic and I don't mean to hijack the thread:

how do you check channel level on the main meter. Do you mute all channels and unmute the one you want to check ?

PFL = Pre fader listen/level

each channel has this button, use it and it will make the main meter...that channels meter.....this is how you set the gain on each channel BEFORE you bring the fader up

Archived