Muso/SR tech doing DJ/KJ?

• Members

Hi Folks,

How many Musician and/or Sound Techs end up doing DJ/KJ to make some cash, at least on the side?

I'm a hobbiest/wannabe Sound Provider and I DJ/KJ at a bar down the street just to get some stuff out of the basement more regularly, and it's a source of some easy pocket change. I'm just a glorified Jukebox, acutally... I don't have the passion or energy to do what those real DJ kids do. The Lounge I mixed Bands at closed due to the economy, and they pretty-much wanted to retire anyways.

There's a guy around here who was a pretty-prominent and skilled soundman for a major Sound Company in the area, and he was one of the first Karaoke hosts in the area so he could make a living, especially in light of the poor Live-Music scene in the area. Actually he does pretty well, full time, and makes a decent living at it.

My Musician buddies and people I know who do have bands Gig reasonably steadily, but they travel more than they'd like to, and can't charge what they deserve... they make less than I do, by the time they split the money. It's a real shame... I feel kinda guilty, but the bar I do can't afford a Band, as most can't these days.

I tried to get the owner of the bar I do to bring bands in, I said I'd provide the complete system, mix, and take care of all details (at financial loss to myself in the process), but he can't do it. He did let me bring a buddy's Band in on St. Pat's day (only $300.00), but that was all I could do, as it's just not economically feasable for him.

Anyways, back to the original question...

• Members

Originally posted by Mark G. Hinge

Hi Folks,

How many Musician and/or Sound Techs end up doing DJ/KJ to make some cash, at least on the side?

I'm a hobbiest/wannabe Sound Provider and I DJ/KJ at a bar down the street just to get some stuff out of the basement more regularly, and it's a source of some easy pocket change. I'm just a glorified Jukebox, acutally... I don't have the passion or energy to do what those real DJ kids do. The Lounge I mixed Bands at closed due to the economy, and they pretty-much wanted to retire anyways.

There's a guy around here who was a pretty-prominent and skilled soundman for a major Sound Company in the area, and he was one of the first Karaoke hosts in the area so he could make a living, especially in light of the poor Live-Music scene in the area. Actually he does pretty well, full time, and makes a decent living at it.

My Musician buddies and people I know who do have bands Gig reasonably steadily, but they travel more than they'd like to, and can't charge what they deserve... they make less than I do, by the time they split the money. It's a real shame... I feel kinda guilty, but the bar I do can't afford a Band, as most can't these days.

I tried to get the owner of the bar I do to bring bands in, I said I'd provide the complete system, mix, and take care of all details (at financial loss to myself in the process), but he can't do it. He did let me bring a buddy's Band in on St. Pat's day (only $300.00), but that was all I could do, as it's just not economically feasable for him.

Anyways, back to the original question...

We have a clear line, .. we can get gear for teh DJ , but we will not do the DJ thing. We find that it is a market we don't want to get in to.

Kev.

• Members

I think I understand your position - where you're coming from.

As a hobbiest, I suppose it's different. I probably should just stick to reading posts and stop posting... lol.

Love,

• Members

the group i am in does about 50/50 live sound and djing. I am mostly focused into setting up systems, any kind we need, but most of my expirience/passion lies in live reinforcement. we have other guys in our group whos expirience/passion lies in DJing. all of us (who are serious) are pretty capable at both, but obviously the DJ guys get into beatmatching whereas I stop after pressing play. at a band show I get into eqing and mic placement, they stop at getting a decent mix. everyone has varying degrees of proficency at everything.

I will agree that DJing is less desirable than live work, but sometimes it can be more fun. Usally I see it like this:

Setting up/Mixing/Tearing down a band show is about love, and a small amount of money is an excuse.

Being a DJ is all about money and getting chicks and being cool. Often I get a little miffed that the DJ's seem to skip out for loadout but make more money. I know that most DJ's would disagree with this, but honestly if being a DJ wasnt so cool and profitable, they wouldnt be there.

If for some reason I had to forgo payment to setup a decent show (perhaps because I ended up needing extra crew or something), I would still be there, and I would still be pretty happy. Of course if it were a gay show then I wouldnt be happy, but if its a decent band thats not going to give me issues, Im there. And I think as most everyone here can attest, mixing bands isnt really chick appealing, especially the load out afterwards.

• Members

I guess that's why I'm not into DJing. I more of a "support" personality, and I like the technical aspects of live sound. I don't care to be any kind of frontperson.

I definitely am not doing this to get chicks, haha... maybe when I was a younger man. I'm 49 today, in fact, and married.

I do get to provide for little shows, charity, school functions (I'm a Teacher), and family events, but I'd rather do a Band.

Thanks for the response, milesdf.

Archived