Headset microphone

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by cascade

From the perspective of those who jam out regularily, how lame would it be for a singer/guitarist to use a headset mic?

Personally, I don't care. Only the trend-mongers care. The audience doesn't.

• Members

If you move around alot, I'd say a headset mic would be a nice to have. Two brands I recommend are the Crown CM311a and the Countryman Isomax headset.

Crown

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CWNCM311A

Isomax Headset

http://northernsound.net/Sales/mics/countryman/countryman.html

The Crown is pretty rugged and sounds great. The Isomax is very low-profile, sounds great but is fairly fragile.

For a decent, budget headset mic, I'd recommend the Audio Technica Pro 8HEx mic.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnicaPRO8HExHeadsetMic?sku=270420

• Members

I just re-read your post and see you were looking for opinions on the use of headset mic's by guitarists and not for actual mic recommendations. I went down the ole hardware recommendation route right away! Anyway...if you want/need/prefer a headset....then go for it!

• Members

The drummer brought over a nice headset mic for me to try, and it has sat for over a month now without me touching it until tonight.

We're more of a hard rock/punk/metal band, and I don't want to look cheesey. I'm a long time guitarist, but getting better with singing and I really like to sing and play guitar at the same time, but I'm a looker when I play guitar, so it's hard to stay on the mic properly for me - at least right now.

I tried the headset mic tonight, and I really like the way it sounds and it allows me to concentrate alot more on guitar. Plus, I don't just strum chords; I write alot of detailed guitar lines that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to play and sing without looking at the guitar.

Thanks for the recommendation by the way!

• Members

Originally posted by cascade

From the perspective of those who jam out regularily, how lame would it be for a singer/guitarist to use a headset mic?

Quite lame. And the audience will notice/care. I'm not saying it's the end of the world but if you want to retain any amount of coolness in the eyes of a bar audience, I would say don't do it.

Unless you are Garth Brooks, it's lame. I don't mean to offend - just being brutally honest. And I'm by no means "mr. cool" myself so don't get me wrong. But like it or not, appearance does play a part in gigging with a band that is getting paid.

• Members

Originally posted by worthyjoe

Quite lame. And the audience will notice/care. I'm not saying it's the end of the world but if you want to retain any amount of coolness in the eyes of a bar audience, I would say don't do it.

Unless you are Garth Brooks, it's lame. I don't mean to offend - just being brutally honest. And I'm by no means "mr. cool" myself so don't get me wrong. But like it or not, appearance does play a part in gigging with a band that is getting paid.

Sorry, but I've gotta agree. Maybe for a drummer, but not for a guitar player or lead singer. Another vote for lame.

Oh, and I'm about as "un-cool" as it gets, too.

• Members

Personally, I prefer the 'safety' of being stood behind a mic stand. Might be a psychological thing, but for some reason I always feel a bit naked without the mic stand...

Concentrating on your guitar shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you've got your lips touching the grille (you'll need the right mic though, to avoid proximity effect), and then you can be looking pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about mic pickup.

Of course, make sure the mic isn't gonna shock you first!

AS

• Members

As a "non-pro" (as the audience would be)...

I think if a Musician MOVES AROUND A LOT, the positives of a headset would FAR outweigh the negatives. The Musician would be far more interesting and fun to watch.

In a case like that, I really feel that the vast majority of the audience would feel that they're getting MORE their money's worth... like he's working harder for it, and more "into it".

I'd say "try it", be a Leader... it might even catch on.

ps. Why is it just okay for Garth Brook?

• Members

Do you move around alot while playing, interacting with other band members and the audience? If so, then you could use one. If you stand still, then use a mic stand. If you think you need it so you can look at your left hand while playing, then learn how to play without looking.

• Members

Our guitar player, bass player and pedal steel/acoustic players all use them. It may be lame, but it works for us and the club owners we're packing patrons into. It allows the front guys to get out into the crowd and interact.

For setups and tear downs, since we play avg 130 shows/year for the last 5+ years, it makes it very easy since everyone is 100% wireless mics, transmitters, and IEM's. I never have to spend precious time "ringing" out monitors or what not.

I'll take lame. I'm ok with it.

• Members

Speaking from experience:

The guitarist in my last band used one, and not one show went by where people in the audience (people I didn't know, mind you) didn't come up to me to complain that our guitarist looked like an idiot. If you don't mind people constantly thinking this about you, go for it.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

Speaking from experience:

The guitarist in my last band used one, and not one show went by where people in the audience (people I didn't know, mind you) came up to me to complain that our guitarist looked like an idiot. If you don't mind people constantly thinking this about you, go for it.

Thank you.

And I'm not making a judgement on whether that opinion is right or wrong. It's just reality.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

not one show went by where people in the audience (people I didn't know, mind you) didn't come up to me to complain that our guitarist looked like an idiot.

All because of a microphone? Didn't those audiences have anything better to do? I find this dubious. I think there was more to him looking like an idiot than the microphone.

Of ALL gear ever used by any rock band since 1960, is the headset mic the only thing that would cause this?

If a player makes gear work, it works. There are no hard-fast rules.

• Members

Originally posted by Prog

All because of a microphone? Didn't those audiences have anything better to do? I find this dubious. I think there was more to him looking like an idiot than the microphone.

Of ALL gear ever used by any rock band since 1960, is the headset mic the only thing that would cause this?

If a player makes gear work, it works. There are no hard-fast rules.

I'm just telling you what happened. You can choose to ignore it and see what happens. They specifically mentioned the headset was what made him look bad, and asked me to tell him to take it off.

But Joe has a point, a big part of being in a band is looking the part. Whether or not you want to accept that. You can sound amazing, but if someone looks dumb, that's something that some people will pick up on, some might not. But I'd think if you were serious about being in a band you'd try to win over as many fans as possible.

• Members

Yeah... and I'm sure Elton John (for instance) looks whatever the part he wants to look and laughs all the wayto the bank. Yeah, he (sometimes) looks rediculous but who cares, he's a hell of aplayer and songwriter. Doesn't stop anyone from putting down a lot of cash to buy tickets. Wonder if your band has these attributes?;)

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Yeah... and I'm sure Elton John (for instance) looks whatever the part he wants to look and laughs all the wayto the bank. Yeah, he (sometimes) looks rediculous but who cares, he's a hell of aplayer and songwriter. Doesn't stop anyone from putting down a lot of cash to buy tickets. Wonder if your band has these attributes?
;)

True, if you're a mind blowing musician and people flock to your shows, you can do almost anything you want, because your music will far overshadow anything else. But I'd think if you were at that level, you wouldn't need to ask the question.

• Members

Hmm, interesting

I have both the Crown 311 and the countryman isomax headset mics, and have used both.

First off I just want to say that the sound of both of these is excellent.

I bought the crown for singing when I was playing drums, then bought the countryman when I wanted to play a harp in a rack, which the crown will not permit.

The contryman is a VERY LOW PROFILE micropahone, and I don't think anyone would say you looked dumb in it. The only comments I ever got were #1 whoa that sounds pretty good, and #2 whoa is that a countrman, dang you went all out.

I also don't actually like the looks of the crown except on a drummer... although a whole band full of dudes wearing them might be sort of cool, and as mentioned, the countryman is a little more delicate in as far as getting it to stay put where you want it, but playing my guitar, and harp in a rack, I LOVE the freedom of movement that a headset mic permits, even a wired one, which is what I have.

just my thoughts.

• Members

Our Bass player / frontman uses a Crown. It sounds great, and he likes to get out in the crowd and interact. The whole package is pretty sweet really. Brings the crowd right into the show. Years back I used an At. I don't recall the model but it was decent. Just was not for me. I don't recall ever hearing a disparaging word from anyone about it. If it helps your performance go for it!!

Steve

Archived