Mic placement for minimalist setup

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Put it where it sounds best, which will vary depending on the guitarist, their vocal ability, the room, the mic, etc.

:thu:

Kinda like going to the doctor and saying, "It hurts when I do this." And he says, "Don't do that."

Solid advice. Maybe I can be more specific. Stage is a mezzanine-like one, 8-10 feet off the ground. Performer sits close to ceiling. Ever been to Potbelly Sandwich Works? That kind of place! No one is really running sound--the mic goes straight into the house system, which someone on the floor can adjust.

So if the singer is a loud one, and the guitar is quiet, place the mic closer to the guitar? And vice versa?

You see, I'm a bit of noob.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

He wasn't kidding, and it's the best possible advice. There's no formula for this; just try the mic in a couple of obvious positions and then adjust from there.

Dang it! I wanted the magic formula!!!

Oh well ... :p

• Members

If you can get your hands on a mic and a pair of headphones you should be able to get a good sense of where the mic ought to be just by experimenting. I've found that for me it works best if the mic is maybe a foot away from me, around mouth height or maybe a bit lower.

Archived