Portable Stages - Anyone Use 'Em?

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

...First you get some pallets...then a forklift...then a trailer to move the forklift around.

Just get the trailer now.

And a pair of these:

Aerotek_Bolt_Cutters_Shop_Tools-resized2

Another one of those funny stories of mine...forklifts don't like sand...then you need to get a bigger forklift to get it out. And the SUV out...a 2500 lbs suv won't move a 7000lbs forklift that's in 8 inches of sand...
:thu:

Edited to add: I didn't know how much a forklift weighed before trying to move it with the suv.

But, we got to play with one of the 'boom' fork lifts, those are cool!

Our warehouse used to be accessible by rail, and the railroad tracks (3' below floor-level) at the one loading bay are now covered by plywood to be even with the rest of the floor. It'll support our equipment w/ no problem, but a couple weeks ago, the new guy driving the forklift didn't know not to drive there. The boss wasn't happy that day.

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

...First you get some pallets...then a forklift...then a trailer to move the forklift around.

Just get the trailer now.

And a pair of these:

Aerotek_Bolt_Cutters_Shop_Tools-resized2

Another one of those funny stories of mine...forklifts don't like sand...then you need to get a bigger forklift to get it out. And the SUV out...a 2500 lbs suv won't move a 7000lbs forklift that's in 8 inches of sand...
:thu:

Edited to add: I didn't know how much a forklift weighed before trying to move it with the suv.

But, we got to play with one of the 'boom' fork lifts, those are cool!

We recently had out parking lot repaved.. It's been pretty warm out letely. The blacktop gets pretty soft.

Our small forklift decided it would be fun to sink into the parking lot.. It's fun trying to use a bigger forklift to get the smaller one out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

FYI:

I wound up collecting a bunch of pallets with smallest-sized gaps between the boards - 15 of 'em, altogether. I set them up as a nice little stage and it was perfect, for an outdoor freebie gig on the sand!

I did it as a duo (my keys and a guitarist w/my trusty Alesis SR16 drum machine) - it was "Family Beach Night" at the lake by my house, my family was there, lots of neighbors, townfolk... everyone said the music really made the night. Which was nice to hear, since it was a rare freebie for me... :D

I left the "pallet stage" on the beach in case there's an August beach night - I'll be all set!

:cool:

• Members

one of the places i work has a portable stage. (actually we have several but only one of which i find acceptable)

the ok one is 4x8 peices, aluminum framing with rubber matte. 18" legs. we have enough to do 16' x 16' or another pattern of 8 peices.

each peice is heavy for one person. i cant really do it alone, but with two people its not so bad. two people can setup an 8 peice stage in about 15 - 30 minutes; and all the peices lock together. once up, it works very, very well and is sturdy.

for uneven ground i cut shims of 3/4" plywood. shims vary in size from 8 inch square to a foot and a half. we setup on nothing but uneven ground, but there aint no sand here! no advice there.

the stage takes up a lot of real estate in a truck. i wouldnt want it.

Archived