Bose PAS demo

• Members

What do I know. It turns out that the only half decent music store in my country had just brought in its first PAS for a local musician and was getting ready to deliver when we requested a quick demo.

The B1 had not yet arrived, so we demoed the S1 and the L1 with both a B-52 subwoofer (I had never heard of that brand before) and then with a Yamaha 18 inch subwoofer at about four feet distance with both a microphone and an Ipod (independently). Granted, not the ideal demo situation but we were extremely lucky to at least be able to do that as we were about ready to spend a bundle on four of these systems.

At first listen Separate ways by Journey sounded pretty good through the ipod, but once the drums and bass kicked in the sound became muddy and lost the shine on the highs and was frankly dissapointing (no clipping, volume at around 5/12).

Then we demoed the system with a Sennheiser 835. The vocals sounded very good, clean and rich. But still the muddy sound of bass and drums was a major concern.

We then decided to AB the system with an 8 channel 300 watts per side yamaha powered mixer and one S115 15 inch cabinet with the 18 inch subwoofer. With a flat eq it sounded, well, flat. Then after eq-ing the system, the entry level yamaha sounded as good or better than the bose system, fuller, better bass, good volume and no mud. The yamaha system is very close to our rehearsal system which is an emx-5000 yamaha powered console with S112 speakers, and it sounded as good or better than the Bose.

We are not sound engineers. Is this a fair evaluation? Should we wait for the B1 and try it again? Should we forget the system and stick to conventional systems?

We are a classic rock-Top 40 cover band with seven members, two guitars, two keys, bass, drums and vocals.

Help, where do we go? I feel we have to trust our ears.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

IMHO for jazz, soft rock, acoustic artists, etc., the PAS is a decent alternative in the small to medium venue. For rock, or anything with volume over conversation level, and larger venues, it doesn't cut the mustard.

I'd agree.

I think it works pretty good for solo/duet acts in coffee shops and the jazz guy in the corner at the bar, but a full band is a little too much for it to compete with. Especially anything that requires solid low end.

• Members

If it sounded muddy, it may be because of the B52 and Yamaha subs that were not really designed for this particular system. Try it with a B1 to be fair. The system is not ideal in all situations but seems to please many people... so give it a fair listen. You may be impressed. You may however not be as impressed with the price it will cost for every member of your band to have one, including the extra subs you will need for your drummer and possibly bass player. But, you never know...... Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

Archived