Painting a speaker cabinet

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by J.

Okay, good to know. I'd hate to buy a bunch of sanding discs for nothing. I've got the good gone working right now, and for the most part it's doing the job. I should try the heat lamp thing next.

When using the Goo-Be-Gone stuff... I suggest concentrate on one flat surface at a time.

1) Which ever surface is "up" and laying flat, spray, or brush the Goo-Be-Gone over the surface.

2) Put a piece of Saran Wrap over the Goo-Be-Gone to seal it from the air.

3) Go pick some beans in the garden or something for about 20 minutes.

4) Come back and use a credit card, or similar item to just scoop the now runny glue stuff off the surface. A metal bondo applicator works best to scoop up the goo... but the credit card is a good substitute.

5) Repeat as necessary.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

Okay, good to know. I'd hate to buy a bunch of sanding discs for nothing. I've got the
good gone
working right now, and for the most part it's doing the job. I should try the heat lamp thing next.

Sorry, slow stuff down for the canadians here.

What's the good gone stuff?

• Members

Originally posted by Ear Abuser

One thing about Duratex , they won't ship it up north once it starts to get cold-apparently it doesn't tolerate freezing, so make your decision before november:)

I hear tell that they are making a new formula that doesn't suffer from the freezing problem. Don't know if it will be shipping this year or not though.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

I've actually had quite a bit of luck scraping it off with little more than some elbow grease. I think I'm going to do it that way before I start giving it the goo gone treatment again.

The only thing I have found that works well is a paint scraper with a ball handle. But you must be able to use it correctly, know how to sharpen it, and use plenty of elbow grease.

I pulled all the glue off of some rat fur covered MTL-1X's with nothing but a paint scraper and some cheap spray can solvent from Walmart.

Archived