EV ELiminator speakers - are they good?

• Members

i have used these speakers! they sound great!

HOWEVER:

they are not as tough as more expensive speakers, and they do not handle the same amount of power as better, more powerful speakers.

"well duh", you say to me?

"yes, indeed" i say back!

these apeakers have served me well on the occassions i have used them, but they WILL NOT compete with MTL's or T52's.

be careful about power, and clipping.

i would say, in my OPINION, that the eliminator speakers are great sounding ENTRY LEVEL speakers and would not stand up to any abuse at all. YMMV.

• Members

I have them and use them. I preferred them sound-wise over many others, including JBL MPro's.

I haven't had any problem driving them loudly without clipping using one side of a QSC RMX2450. I also wouldn't consider them entry-level speakers.

I haven't used them in anything other than a bar yet, but I have no doubt they could handle a 300 person room.

Coaster, I am interested to hear what issues you've had with driving or overdriving them or any other issues for that matter. Maybe I should be driving mine a bit differently.

• Members

I have 2 pair that I use on smaller gigs. I have had no serious issues with them for the most part. I think I had to resolder some connections on the x-over I think. I like the sound of them. I don't like the subs. I have not gotten around to removing the X-over from the subs to see if that will help. I don't think it will. I power them with either a 2402 or 3002 one per channel. They can also make a good drum monitor or sidefills on some stages. Would I buy them again, yes I would. They are good for what they were designed for. Take Care, John

• Members

why dont you like the subs? i agree they dont pound, and are front loaded so they sound like a front loader :)

i havent had too much issue with this line of speakers, and honestly havent used them in at least three years. but i did like them for what they were, an inexpensive nice sounding setup.

the subs seemed to fart easily.....hence my warning about watching the power......

• Members

I owned a pair of EV Eliminator I speakers that I thought were very good. Rated at 350 Watts. Put out a nice full sound across the frequency range. Excellent bass response.

I sold them however and bought a set of Carvin TRX 153 speakers that are incredible.

The Eliminator I are $450 here:

http://www.music123.com/EV-Eliminator-I-i86783.music

The Carvin TRX153 are $599 here:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=TRX153B&CID=TRX

and occassionally $549 on the Carvin ebay store.

• Members

In my opinion, there's not much better at its price point. I also agree that it sounds better than the MPros, as do many others I know who have heard both speakers.

Their sub is actually side loaded, unless you are talking about their dual 18" KW sub which is a bit better of a sub than their single drive subs imho.

• Members

Well yes, the 215 definitely seems to lose out against the Eliminators at a more comparable price. I have heard the MPRO 418 subwoofer and the 415 monitor. The sub was actually quite impressive, I dont recollect much about the monitor. But have definitely heard the sub enough to know that Agedhorse does make a good point, its a really good sub. I never figured there would be such a drastic difference between the two. Several times a week I see people choose the Eliminators over the MPRO 200s, even when they come bent on the JBL name they have grown familiar with. I would concur that the MPRO 400s would definitely have to be a step up from the 200s to seriously compete with the Eliminators... though okay yes, the single MP400 18" subs do seem to sound better than the single Eliminator 18" sub. But based on price point, I have not yet heard JBL beat out an EV product.

Either way, be happy with those Eliminators they are a great sounding speaker for the money. I'd get them if I were you:thu:

• Members

Thanks to all of you who chimed in with your experiences and opinions on the EV Eliminators. I bought the pair yesterday for 250. and they look to be in great shape, as advertised. Haven't had time to hook them up yet (or the neutrik connectors!) but the seller is local and I'm sure would make good on any problems, although I doubt there are any. I'll report my impressions as soon as I use them in a live setting. BTW, the handles on these things are different than I've encountered........they can be grabbed from 4 different angles which helped me lift and carry them.

• Members

Great speaker pick-up! $250 is a great price for two speaks that sold for at least $700. I would add two more myself for that price.

Apologies, I didn't mean to turn this into an MPro vs. Eliminator thing. Both are very good speakers, and my preference was for the bigger bottom end from the EV's. Of course the box is bigger, so getting the bottom end has a price in terms of ease of use. And running subs probably erases that advantage. I don't always have that luxury, so I felt like the bass response from the EV's would be a benefit to me.

The other consideration is resale. The EV's won't have near the resale value of the MPro's. That's great when you're a buyer as tonynorie found out buying a used pair of speaks for ~30% of retail, but buying new could be a consideration for the JBL's if buying new.

Anyway, enjoy them.

Archived