Which mic to get

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

Hi guys I need 3 good live vocal mics, I would prefer to spend less than $100 on each. So far the SM58 seems to be the choice, but I figure there may be some other great alternatives for less.

Any suggestions?

SM58'S are great .

As a vocalist I'll bet Shure's sm 58 will never again see the

market share they've lost to Sennhieser e835's,

which is now the only mic I use live .....

:D

• Members

Originally posted by joel77

How would you guys say the 835 sounds compared to the SM58? Does it sound good on most any vocal? ie female, male? As good or better than the 58?

Joel

I prefer the 835 to the 58 all the way around. That's not to say that the 58 is a bad mic.....I just find the 835 better.

The only thing I don't like about the Senn. E8XX series of mics is that they are thicker in the body of the mic and they don't always fit in a standard mic clip very well.

• Members

I agree that the 835 is a better mic. As for handling noise, i've never really noticed much in either. i haven't had a vocalist that has held a mic in a while though, maybe twice in the 30 or so shows ive been a part of in the last 4 years, never when i've been mixing foh but once when I was mixing monitors, which was possibly the worst expirience of my life because that guy would like crouch down and do all sorts of random {censored} that would cause feedback.

• Members

I have a sennheiser e835, plus a few 58s and 58 betas. Guess it depends on what you are after. I prefer the 58s over the e835 (on MY voice, for OUR music) for it's "more traditional" sound (as opposed to the more "Hi-Fi" quality of the e835).

Sometimes people like the tonal characteristics of something they have become familiar with. I like the 58, cause it sounds lilke a 58. But... if you prefer the e835, I have one here in my bag for you. In a pinch, I'd use any of them.

its all good. peace. out. whatever.

• Members

Originally posted by nobrainer440

Hang on, if the e835 is cheaper, better sounding and just as durable as an SM58, why isn't everyone using them? These things are going for $60 on eBay!

The SM58 had been the poster child of good marketing for over 30 years. Not saying the 48 isn't a good mic, but it has, like Protools, the rep as being the industry standard. Doesn't mean it's the best, just that it's won the popularity contest.

In the pro touring world, it's rare you see anyone using an SM58 these days.

Don't buy based in popularity, buy based on what works best for you.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

In the pro touring world, it's rare you see anyone using an SM58 these days.

Not really. depends on the act. I still see SM58s all the time.

I own a few of the Sennheisers, I don't really care for them myself. I find them to be a bit harsh, smeared and aggressive in the 4-7k area. I aslo find the Beta 58 to be that way, but I like smooth. That's not to say I don't put them up quite regularly. But I like the 58 and ATM41 most of the time. Been using the Heil PR20 lately too. It's very good. I bring maybe 5 different dynamics to any gig, along with some handheld condensor stuff too

• Members

Originally posted by flanc

No different than the 58..as far as handling noise. To me, it has better presence than the 58 and renders a "crisper" vocal.

I'd agree about both of these decriptions but it's also why I don't care for the E835s.

• Members

I guess somebody needs to tell those acts to stop using 58's then.

The Brian Setzer rider on my desk specifically asks for SM-58's on vocals.

Oops, Aaron Carter is asking for a 58 wireless too.

Oh no, not again. I'm going to have to tell Jesse McCartney he's all wrong for asking for 58's for vocals.

And the poor "Click 5" guys... 58's again. Jeez, what is this world coming to?

Give me a break

;)

• Members

in the past year I worked with Merle Haggard, Joe Walsh(OK, now he's Heil PR20) Peter Cetera, Billy Gibbons, Jack Mack & the Heart attack, Steve Miller band, Big Sandy,Mustangs(and other 60s stuff). all SM58, maybe a Beta 58 on one. I have friends and more in the Eagles. 58s. Paul Rodgers wanted a Sennheiser, the Surfaris didn't care :)

doesn't really matter though, does it? it's just a mic. I don't care other than blanket assumptions about what's out there..

• Members

The direction this thread has taken reminds me of an incident when I took a C++ programming course around a decade ago. I asked the professor if the use of C was very widespread, whereupon he replied - "Let me put it this way, if you were a professional programmer, you'd be working in C". That kind of made me chuckle, as I had been employed as a COBOL programmer for over a decade without touching C, and the same was true of most of my colleagues.

• Members

Tell me this o wise ones. How does the e835 compare to the Betas 58? Not a simple this one is better answer please.

We have (1) Beta 58 in our practice studio and EVERYONE sound better through it compared to normal 58's and 57's.

Better enough that I'm thinking we should upgrade everyone to Beta's.

• Members

Originally posted by glepko

Tell me this o wise ones. How does the e835 compare to the Betas 58? Not a simple this one is better answer please.

We have (1) Beta 58 in our practice studio and EVERYONE sound better through it compared to normal 58's and 57's.

Better enough that I'm thinking we should upgrade everyone to Beta's.

They're about the same. they're all good enough, especially for your purposes. The little things that I hear or bug me most people won't hear, and may not even matter anyhow.

if you like it then keep it and upgrade to all Betas. None of it really matters anyhow, you gotta sing and play well first, then get it to come out a sound system, who cares what kind of mic, especially between a beta58, Sm58, Sennheiser, SMwhatever. One persons inch is another's mile

Archived