Bass feed for FOH

• Members

I know theres been a discussion on Pre Eq / Post Eq DI for bass and the general consensus is to send the FOH the Pre EQ signal.

If you are putting a mic on a bass cabinet to get the cabinet tone and to include FX that aren't in the pre EQ feed)

-what sort of mic would you use ?

-how much signal do you blend from the mic, 50/50 ?

On my GBE 1200 I like to flick between the solid state and tube channels + use the wah.

Also the tone from the speakers seems to really add something compared to listening to the DI feed.

I want to keep the soundman happy using a pre EQ feed but I'd like the PA to carry the tone from the cabinet as well.

• Members

I almost always use both a mic and a pre eq/effect DI send from the bass. I find that combining the two gives me a better quality sound and a little more control than one or the other. There are a few different mics I like to use- Audix D4, Shure Beta 56, Beta 52, and even SM57 mics work well. Also, recently I got to try a Beta 98 and loved it. Its also the only place I actually like to use a AKG D112. I hate them on Kick drums.

• Members

With the GBE-1200, the master (both channel) DI out is of course, post channel eq. That doesn't mean that you can't use it, but you will want to be conservative (or at least considerate of FOH) with yout use of the channel eq and be sure that what you are sending to the PA is useable by the sound guy. This way the channel switching, mixing, and tone shaping filters are part of the DI send.

The DI pre output is taken right after the input buffer and is essentially the pure buffered instrument. My preference unless the bass player is knowledgable and reasonable.

Archived