Small set up

• Members

Hi folks. The Classic Rock/Geezer band I,m in is looking to replace our aging Traynor powered mixer and speakers. This would be primarily for practice and small gigs of less than 100 people. Our budget is $2500 (canadian dollars). I am a noob when it comes to PAs as my brother handles the sound. We have mics and cables allready just looking at mixer, speakers and monitors. We have been looking at the Gigrac 600 for a mixer and it can be had up here for $600. Any sugestions would be welcomed...

• Members

Here's one (of many systems) that could work:

One of these :

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=31&cat=13&id=266

Powering a pair of these :

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=22&id=344

And a pair of these (monitors)

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=58&id=349

This system is within budget. Comes with a 2 year unconditional warranty. Good looking. Reliable. I chose the 15'' mains in case you were putting some kick in the mix. I could also suggest a comparable system from Peavey and Yamaha or different ones from Yorkville. Do you like the idea of powered mixers or are you open to a regular mixer with powered speakers? There are so many possibilities. At least you have a decent budget... Let me know. It's fun to put these together. I like to pretend I just got 2500$ and my wife said, go buy something fun for you...:)

Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

For a small gig rig with a $2500.00 budget I would go with a pair of powered speakers like Al mentioned or a pair of RCF Art 322's, or FBT Maxx4a's and then a small unpowered mixer that fits the bill. For the budget I would probably try out the Peavey line. This would be a nice set up, something that will grow with the band that can always be used no matter the size of the venue. Side fills, monitors or drum fills. There light weight now days and sound great. All the one mentioned are bi-amped with all the processing built in. Later down the road you can add or even rent a pair of powered subs if needed.

• Members

In the Peavey PR powered line, you could, for example get a pair of PR15Ps for mains, a pair of PR10Ps (or PV12PS) for monitors and a PV14 mixer. That would be a great little setup that would be self-powered so no need to carry power amps along. The PV14 has built-in effects and is a great sounding mixer. With Peavey quality and 5 year warranty (if you register your products) you can`t go wrong.

Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will take them back to the guys as it will be a group decision. I like the idea of the Yorkville setups as I have a dealer about a mile away. In reply to Ed,s questions...we require 4 vocal mics and perhaps the kick drum...no bass in the PA. Also, I,m not sure how to quantify the sound level we play at other than saying it would be moderate volume. We play CCR, Eagles, Old Bowie, Bad Co, Stones etc.. Our rigs are 2 guitars, 50 watts 2x12 and 40 watts 4x10 (all tube), a bass with 600 watt head (SS) a 2x10 cab and a 15 inch cab and a pretty loud drummer. Thanks again folks....

• Members

I have used the Yamaha Emx-512 for over a year now at 22lbs its a great powered mixer 8 channel's built in effect's on board EQ, and dual 500 watt. amps. Plus the first 4 channel's have compresion so the vocal's will sound great I personally use one of those first 4 channel's for the kick drum sound's great. Now pair this up with Yamaha S115V speakers and some monitor's and your set! Should cost less than 2000.00 canadian. :thu:

• Members

I use a yorkville power max 16 they retail 3 grand brand new.. but u can get one used at a yorkville dealer!. im selling mine for $1500.

800 wats aside at 4 ohms, for mains, and 275 watts a side for monitors

ya 4 amps!!

plus a stereo 9 band eq, and two seperate 7 band monitor eqs! inserts.. not bad mic pres. great for live! digital efx processor.. is a lotta bang for yoru bucks. mines in very good shape. the reason why i am upgrading is becuz i run a 3 way system, and the line level outputs on this mixer arent the best for running seperate power amps and seperate spkr setups. IE a 1200 watt power amp and subs.

• Members

Al..the setup you mentioned with the Peavey PR15Ps and the PR10Ps with the PV14 mixer would cost us $2269.14 Canadian (taxes in), delivered to my door out of T.O. This might just fit the bill....thanks again. Sounds like a nice package!

While some people would argue that powered speakers can be trouble (i.e. amp goes down, whole speaker is useless - same could be said for powered mixers) I'm a fan of them.

If you want something a bit more robust than the Peavey's, you might look at the Yorkville nx55p's w/ a used mixer (Peavey RQ series, etc.) and then use the old Traynor rig for monitors for now until you can afford to upgrade there.

Al's suggestion however is a very good one. Peavey is a reliable company and those PR's are reported to be quite decent speakers for the $$ (though IMO the Yorkville nx55p's blow them away). I think you'd be happy with the improvement from that set up.

• Members

If you want something a bit more robust than the Peavey's, you might look at the Yorkville nx55p's w/ a used mixer (Peavey RQ series, etc.) and then use the old Traynor rig for monitors for now until you can afford to upgrade there.

Al's suggestion however is a very good one. Peavey is a reliable company and those PR's are reported to be quite decent speakers for the $$ (though IMO the Yorkville nx55p's blow them away). I think you'd be happy with the improvement from that set up.

I most likely would have recommended the NX55Ps (of which I own a pair and love) had they not eaten the OPs entire budget (almost) on their own. ;) Actually, I probably would`ve recommended the NX750Ps, if the OP had no subs and wanted to put some kick drum in the mix. Unfortunately the powered NX series is 2X the price of the powered PR series.... Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well after much debate among the band members (I was pushing for the powered speakers) we have decided on a powered mixer and passive speakers. We all agree that Peavey seems to have the best price/performance/reliability for our needs. As it stands now we are looking to get the XR 8300 powered mixer (2x300 watts), 2 PR 12s and 2 PR 15s. Again this is just for practise and small venues. If we ever play a large gig (rare for us) we would rent a system locally. Hopefully we will order this equipment this week.

• Members

Well after much debate among the band members (I was pushing for the powered speakers) we have decided on a powered mixer and passive speakers. We all agree that Peavey seems to have the best price/performance/reliability for our needs. As it stands now we are looking to get the XR 8300 powered mixer (2x300 watts), 2 PR 12s and 2 PR 15s. Again this is just for practise and small venues. If we ever play a large gig (rare for us) we would rent a system locally. Hopefully we will order this equipment this week.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $100 or so bucks for the XR 8600. Those extra watts will really come in handy when you need the headroom.

Archived