Click tracks

• Members

i understand this Prosigna. I understand that outboard limiters can be used successfully, however, i also know that settting these devices is not simply plug and play. For someone who has little to no experience with this stuff I just feel like an all in one box is a simpler (and easier solution). $330 bucks for a system that will completely fill the needs of the drummer (IEMs included) doesn't seem like a huge price to a easy and good solution.

• Members

Ok, so, that little pack is all I'd need? It's got a 3/4" input where the sound guy can direct what would've gone into the wedge, into? It seems like it's just a transister. It seems like half of what I'd need, haha. I'm liking it, if the little pack is what you're saying.

• Members

The transmitter can work with the PSM200 pack. If you want to use it wirelessly then you buy the base station. That's all you'd need to do to make it wireless. However, without the base station you can still just plug in a cable and have a wired solution.

• Members

As to your other question.... I think E-3 s are pretty much the standard, not E-2s. E-2s were brought out by shure to have a cheaper version than the E-1 which is what they were selling at that time, because people always want a cheaper version (which they try to convince themselves will be "just as good" but in the end of course it really isn't.)

• CMS Author

FWIW. The PSM200 limiter is designed and set for the E-2. It is not adjustable.

Limiters work on the input signal's level. It doesn't matter what output load is present..it'll limit at the same point. I've got E-2 and E-4 and both are more than able to destroy my hearing if I crank the volume, but both limit at what I feel are appropriate input levels....it's a hard limiter and you can really hear it when the limit is reached.

• Members

I was just online looking at the e-2s, e-3s, & e-4s.

Can I be sure that the e-2s are good for what I need them for? Now I'm thinking maybe spending the extra money on e-3s or e-4s might be the way to go, but almost too costly for us. As I said, I'm really hoping to do away with the drum wedge altogether.

I realize it seems like I'm asking the same question over and over again, but I want to be absolutely sure (shure) before I spend that much from the little band account, haha.

Thanks guys, by the way.

• Members

You know,

I've worked with plenty of drummers who run a click into a small headphone amp into some walkman style ear buds. They allow plenty of bleed to hear the wedge mix and stage roar without having to go to a complete in ear mix.

Works really well for bands that play festivals alot where you don't get enough time to dial in a Ear mix...

Just a suggestion.

-Mike

• Members
You know,

I've worked with plenty of drummers who run a click into a small headphone amp into some walkman style ear buds. They allow plenty of bleed to hear the wedge mix and stage roar without having to go to a complete in ear mix.

Works really well for bands that play festivals alot where you don't get enough time to dial in a Ear mix...

Just a suggestion.

-Mike

Do you mean without a limiter? :eek:

• Members

Yep.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating using IEM's without a limitter. By all means, I'm a huge proponent of dedicated outboard processing (and a highly trained, well paid professional monitor mixer:wave: ). But if all you need is a way to hear the click, most of the non professional bands, heck even a lot of the professional coporate cover bands I work with do it this way...

• CMS Author
Do you mean without a limiter?
:eek:

This is okay if the only source is the click...it's no different than listening to an iPod.

However, the OP was having trouble hearing the floor wedges and the click at the same time, so he needs a consolidated solution that puts the monitor and the click together, hence the IEM suggestion.

• Members
This is okay if the only source is the click...it's no different than listening to an iPod.

Are you arguing against yourself? ;)

I understand the safety issue you are trying to drive home. I just think, and have experienced, Walkman style (non earmold) earbuds used at reasonable low levels do not REQUIRE limiters. Rock and metal shows are a different matter.

At rock show levels, if the earbuds are managing all the monitor duties for a loud drummer it would be wise to use a limiter. That said, the level those IEMs operate at are higher than I would be comfortable with. Click into the ears and the wedges with a drum fill sub are a better option. Otherwise the drummer will keep on cranking up the volume on the IEM until he is hurting himself from long exposure and not freak accidents.

• Members

After reading the OP I have some new concerns. The drummer is using a click into his ears now but it is not loud enough for the show level. Is it loud enough in a quiet room? I'm worried that a louder click may be too loud to be safe. To go to earbuds you may need to go to an isolated style earbud and not the walkman/ipod style so all outside noise is blocked. Then all signal would come from the IEM system. The overall effect would not be a louder click but a quieter everything else.

• CMS Author
Are you arguing against yourself?
;)

I understand the safety issue you are trying to drive home. I just think, and have experienced, Walkman style (non earmold) earbuds used at reasonable low levels do not REQUIRE limiters. Rock and metal shows are a different matter.

At rock show levels, if the earbuds are managing all the monitor duties for a loud drummer it would be wise to use a limiter. That said, the level those IEMs operate at are higher than I would be comfortable with. Click into the ears and the wedges with a drum fill sub are a better option. Otherwise the drummer will keep on cranking up the volume on the IEM until he is hurting himself from long exposure and not freak accidents.

The function of limiting with IEM's is to prevent an accident from damaging hearing, not to limit the max level of the normal source material. I can play jazz at levels that will damage hearing, so the genre really isn't an issue.

Recorded source or just a click is pretty safe. I get nervous when it's used through a mixer even if it's the only thing normally sent to that auxiliary...it's still possible to accidentally include other live channels. But a click device by itself output to buds is as safe as any iPod type device.

• Members

The overall effect would not be a louder click but a quieter everything else.

This is one of the main things to learn when mixing monitors. Some times when the artist asks for more of something, what they really need is less of other things..

• Members

You know,

Just a suggestion.

-Mike

This is a remarkable idea, and would be pretty cheap. heck the click generator might even have a headphone output on it... and then by some cheap earbuds, and bing bang bomb..

Archived