FOH speaker height suggestions

• Members

OK...so if an average person head height is 4ft while sitting it would be advisable to mount them on stands with the horn at roughly 7ft. So a stand that reaches 6' 7" would be tall enough to get those horns at the proper height in a sitting venue. In a standing venue are you saying those horns would have to reach over 8ft for proper placement?? And now I'm looking at the ef500's dimemsions : Dimensions (DWH xbackW, inches) 14.5 x 18.6 x 28.2 x 11.1 on a 6'7" stand this would put them at about 9ft...should do it for a standing crowd correct??

ummmm..back to my question....:bor:

• Members

ummmm..back to my question....
:bor:

Sorry. Yeah, so when people are standing up and dancing, say at a wedding, try to have the horns just slightly above their heads, that way, people in the back can hear some high frequency content. And after the wedding, they can head over to McDonald's for some Big Mac meals, because they will be hungry after all that dancing... :D

• Members

OK...so if an average person head height is 4ft while sitting it would be advisable to mount them on stands with the horn at roughly 7ft. So a stand that reaches 6' 7" would be tall enough to get those horns at the proper height in a sitting venue. In a standing venue are you saying those horns would have to reach over 8ft for proper placement?? And now I'm looking at the ef500's dimemsions : Dimensions (DWH xbackW, inches) 14.5 x 18.6 x 28.2 x 11.1 on a 6'7" stand this would put them at about 9ft...should do it for a standing crowd correct??

Yeah, I like to get them as high as practical. This gives you an angle the provides more even coverage so you don't blast the folks up front with as much sound. I might use TS99B Ultimate stands which go up to 9' high, and sometimes I will use a T-bar if I want to go with 4 lighter cabinets splayed for more horizontal coverage, like this:

DSC02118.jpg

• Members

When I use these I stick to cabinets that weigh about 30 lbs. or less.

I do have some homemade tilters that will handle 100 lb. cabinets, but they shift the center of mass as they tilt the cab, so it stays centered over the pole.

Interesting. How does that work? Can you show us a picture (if you have one) for illustrative purposes, please?

V.

• Members

Interesting. How does that work? Can you show us a picture (if you have one) for illustrative purposes, please?

V.

Here's a rough drawing. The curved plate is 2 1/2" wide and has several holes drilled to adjust the tilt angle. This plate is a strip cut from a piece of 48" diameter steel pipeline, so the geometry is such that the weight of the horn driver on most cabinets will remain near centered. The pole piece that fits into the speaker cup is welded to a short section of the same material so the curve matches up when it is bolted in place.

It's not illustrated, but I also have a knob-screw in the lower part that mounts to the stand. This needs to be tight because with all of the different angles involved you don't want anything spinning around on you.

tilter2.jpg

• Members

This is an often overlooked topic within the ever changing world of live sound. For example when EAW came out with it's new NT line, it sounded like they put all this money and effort into making a ground breaking prouduct. So I was kind of shocked when I saw thier display at AES and noticed that the speaker height was right at head level. This means that if your doing a wedding and you have to set up on the floor (no one here has ever done that one before have they?) the front folks get blasted and everyone else get's the "muffled" sound. I even asked about this at the EAW booth, the guy said "Well just get yourself a piece of pole, cut it at about....". For the kind of dough those guys are asking, I don't want to have to do anything other than "plug and Play". So much for that $10K EAW investment. To me this is why I like the idea of the JBL VRX line. Modular components.

Archived