Need help making custom subs/monitors

• Members
how would one time delay that?

With "special" math of course ;)

In large venues, this is generally not very practical due to either sightlines or physical limitations. Unlike Bill Fitzmaurice's premise being referenced by preacherman672, subs stacked on both sides of the stage do indeed work just fine. If it didn't, the concert industry must be pretty stupid doing so, wouldn't it?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
well, we live and learn...

bring on wireless headphones for all the crowd, thats what i say...

I know this is tongue in cheek but it brings up a pet peeve issue with me.
Stadium wide IEM would solve almost all of live sounds issues but the what do you get. You would be better served to record the show with a perfect mix and then broadcast that recording.....

Wait, that would be what they do on the radio. ;)

The drive to get perfectly flat response with the PA is a marketing ploy. Who want to go see the Rolling Stones with studio monitors. You pay to see a great band. You also get to hear a great PA. Not stereo speakers or headphones. You can do the headphones anywhere.:blah:

Off-topic rant over....

• CMS Author

+ 1

Regardless of who is right or wrong, I stated things in ways that were inconsiderate, for this I apologize.

Apology fully accepted, and offered in return, for the same reason. We're all entitled to our opinions and most especially to express them here. What IMHO separates okay disagreements from what happened with someone like where02190 is the willingness to admit we've either been or done wrong and to return to a more civil place.

• CMS Author

how would one time delay that?

They really can't be time-delayed acceptably in that sort of configuration, but this opinion depends entirely on what is deemed an acceptable amount of time discrepancy.

With all subs to one side and behind the mid-high's, any delay calculation will result in the alignment being okay on the sub side of the room and becoming increasingly poor towards the 'lonely' mid-high stack. Placing the subs in the middle of the rear wall would be preferred if alignment is more important than output.

• CMS Author

I know this is tongue in cheek but it brings up a pet peeve issue with me.

Stadium wide IEM would solve almost all of live sounds issues but the what do you get. You would be better served to record the show with a perfect mix and then broadcast that recording.....

Wait, that would be what they do on the radio.
;)

The drive to get perfectly flat response with the PA is a marketing ploy. Who want to go see the Rolling Stones with studio monitors. You pay to see a great band. You also get to hear a great PA. Not stereo speakers or headphones. You can do the headphones anywhere.
:blah:

Off-topic rant over....

That's why my previous reply mentions the opinion of what's acceptable alignment. Some folks really like the sound of a pretty imperfect alignment and the reverb/delay/echo of a big room.

• Members

They really can't be time-delayed acceptably in that sort of configuration, but this opinion depends entirely on what is deemed an acceptable amount of time discrepancy.

With all subs to one side and behind the mid-high's, any delay calculation will result in the alignment being okay on the sub side of the room and becoming increasingly poor towards the 'lonely' mid-high stack. Placing the subs in the middle of the rear wall would be preferred if alignment is more important than output.

was a rhetorical question, i'm sure some compromise could be found, i've just never seen anyone stack subs like that, ever...

Archived