Good Values

• Members

Microphone of choice: for any vocals
Samson S11

I play guitar in a band and sometimes work in a studio. I worked in theater and we used the S11. I couldn't believe it sounded better than my sm57 and 58. Went out and bought the 3 pack at musicians friend. Best price. I was so pleased. They work well and its been over 5 years. They are great when you don't want to use the expensive mics (bad clients,etc.)
They are very quiet! No hum, buzz. Well grounded!
Last note: guitars- Fender Affinity! 100.00, best guitar I've ever played lately. I own several Gibsons and Ibanez, but this little cheap affinity has stolen my heart! The pickups are clean, the neck is flawless I use it in my band and everyone loves my sound. FX: GT-10, no compromise amp: Marshall, fender FM- very clean- makes the fx sound phenomenol.
500.00 for the GT-10, 450.00 for the DFX-250 closer to 500.00. I sound like a million bucks on a poor girls budget.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Microphone of choice: for any vocals

Samson S11

I play guitar in a band and sometimes work in a studio. I worked in theater and we used the S11. I couldn't believe it sounded better than my sm57 and 58. Went out and bought the 3 pack at musicians friend. Best price. I was so pleased. They work well and its been over 5 years. They are great when you don't want to use the expensive mics (bad clients,etc.)

They are very quiet! No hum, buzz. Well grounded!

As I've noted a few posts up, the Samson S11 has been discontinued.

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

Not sure if this exactlly goes here, but I picked up a used Shure 57A Beta for $80 at Daddys today!

The idea of this thread is to help others by showing values that anyone can get. One-shot purchases don't really offer this.

But that *is* a great deal if the mic's working ok. If it isn't, you can send it to Shure for repair/replacement for a flat fee. See their website for cost and details.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

hi
i just read some of your posting about xm8500
and i want to say thanks..
i have been looking for a mic for my karaoke gigs(about 2 a year)
i have a peavey pvi 100 that i was using and wanted to replace it
and the xm seems to be the one..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

QSC GX5 power amp. 500w a side @ 8 ohms (700w @ 4ohms) for $400. This amp can NOT be bridged. Still the best amp for the money plus register on=line and get a 6 year warranty!

Selenium D210Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver. Replacement HF driver for most monitors and mains for under $30!!! I put these in my JRX cabs and have been extreemly happy.

XM8500s are good mics. I use them for hardcore bands, the singers like to smash the mics into their foreheads. 3 shows so far x 5 bands each show and not a scratch or failure on the 3 mics that I've used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Much of the gear mentioned here is very low priced stuff, some with the limitations that come with the very low price. I think it's only a bargain if price is your sole consideration.

If you are the sort of person who cares about quality and ends up replacing stuff because of it's limitations, it soon becomes sensible and less expensive in the long run to spend a bit more and buy better gear that won't need replacement.

I would never recommend a current Fender Squire instrument. In this example, the MIM stuff is considerably better for slightly more money. And you probably won't be replacing it in 6 months.

Food for thought, YMMV!

• Members

I just installed a Kawai EQ-8 parametric equalizer in my band's PA.

I don't know if they're still in production, but used one can be purchased for under $100.

Each of the 8 channels has a gain knob and a frequency sweep knob. There are 3 switches: One for gain/sensitivity, one for Q (bandwidth) and one to select 1.0 or 0.1 as the multiplier for the sweep knob. I don't have the unit in front of me, so I can't quote the sweep range, but it will cover most dynamic microphones.

The channels are setup internally paired, but can be used individually or ganged (if you wanted to EQ 8 frequencies on a single input).

I have them paired and plugged into the channel inserts on a Yamaha MG-16/4 mixer.

We're a 5-piece hobby band, so we don't command the kind of fees to afford a professional sound man (would be nice) so I'm in charge of rhythm guitar as well as the sound console.

The mains are JBL EON-15's (active), there are 2 yamaha 12-inch wedges on the floor, the drummer and the lead player each have powered monitors. Feedback can be a problem with 5 mics. I have 31-band Yamaha graphic EQ's on the mains and wedges. If I get a common frequency showing up when I sweep with the Kawai, I'll pull it on the graphic.

For those of us that don't have big mixing desks with built-in parametric EQ's or a rack full of dedicated parametrics, the Kawai is a great little unit for little bucks.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Ok, so I am going to get so much crap for this post, but I have to tell you guys about this incase anyones ever in the same jam as we were. So we are doing a show in a small town, mid size bar. My guitarist/ backup vocals forgets to pack his sm58. Nearest music shop is 150 miles away. Sooooo we run to Walmart me busting on my guitarist the whole time about being forgetful. We grab the only mic they sell there. It was a First Act MVM84. And I'm making fun of it the whole way back to the club. I just know it was gonna sound terrible. Out of the package I was surprised how solid it felt. We hook it up, and OH MY it sounded Great. I was stunned. So I take it to the practice room a few days later and compare it to our other mics. I use a electro-voice nd967, and the sm58. The mic sounded better than the sm58. It had a higher feedback rejection as well. It was close in sound to my 967, but not quite as much feedback rejection. I can't vouch for the durability of the mic itself. Like I said it feels way more solid than I expected it to. I don't assume it could stand up to the beating sm58's can take. Cost us $30.00. Saved our ass in a jam, and I dare say it sounds better than a shure 58. Also it gives me something to make fun of when our guitarist uses it. He actually prefers the sound to the First Act mic. I let him know I think he's singing through a toy mic. Anyway take what you will from this post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok I know two local groups who use these speakers mainly just for vocals in small rooms but they have been very reliable and sound great. Carvin LS1002

One of the local bands I know the guy and he is pretty picky about his guitars and amps and he says they are light, sound good and have not had any problems in five years of gigging 2-3 times a week.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LS1002

These are not speakers for a metal band or go very low. They sound good with vocals and are stupid light, a girl could carry two at a time on load in.

These speakers only cost $149 each which even if you use them only for light duty or a spare are a great value.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

How about Drum Mics?

I've been using these for almost 3 years and they sound great.. Come with a case and have integrated clips for the tom/snare mics.....

CAD drum mics.. 7 pack.. $150

I have the CAD 411 series mics and really can't complain. I got my set of 3 toms and a kick used and in excellent condition for 100 bucks.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-4Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270777

Have not tried the kick mic because I have a beta 52 and use a 57 on the snare.

Archived