Smallest sub for a bar band

• CMS Author

How long do you need to setup using the driverack? Do you have to run pink/white noise (I forget which one it is) at a high level to use it? If so do you get any flak from patrons while doing that?

It runs pink noise. You typically should run it at or close to performance volume. Personally, I'd never do this with patrons present...it's uber annoying. Frankly, I hate how pink noise sounds myself.....

• Members

It runs pink noise. You typically should run it at or close to performance volume. Personally, I'd never do this with patrons present...it's uber annoying. Frankly, I hate how pink noise sounds myself.....

That's what I figured... We can't get into venues until an hour before start time and generally (and thankfully) the places tend to be quite crowded, so using the driverack wouldn't be a good option for us.

As we pretty much only do the vocals through the pa, setting levels and eq is fairly easy and quick anyway.

Al

• CMS Author

That's what I figured... We can't get into venues until an hour before start time and generally (and thankfully) the places tend to be quite crowded, so using the driverack wouldn't be a good option for us.

As we pretty much only do the vocals through the pa, setting levels and eq is fairly easy and quick anyway.

Al

The Driverack can still be a good option; there's a lot more to it than the auto-EQ. You can set up a good general EQ for the system if you set it up outside in an open area and run the EQ, and save that setting as a baseline to work from.

• Members

The Driverack can still be a good option; there's a lot more to it than the auto-EQ. You can set up a good general EQ for the system if you set it up outside in an open area and run the EQ, and save that setting as a baseline to work from.

We do two types of gigs with it.

One, we get to get into the venue for a private party or corporate event type thing and have time to pink noise the room properly w/ nobody there at performance volume, and obviously the Auto EQ works great for that (again, with some minor manual tweaks after it's done, mostly to 150hz and below).

Two, is a bar gig as described above where we show up and there are already patrons at the place. In this case, we do one of two things. For the place we play the most (i.e. twice a month), we were able to get in there one time really early and do a pink noise while there was noone there. We then saved those settings and use them every time we go back. OR....we do as Craigv stated, use our "default" setting, which was created by setting up our PA outside on a large open lawn and saving it. We then manually tweak to the room w're in from there running some CD music through the PA.

We also use it for a crossover, but really not for much else (limiting, etc.), but to me it's still worth its price (got it for ~$400 w/ the RTA mic used) and only takes up one space in the rack.

• Members
I'm in the Morristown area as well.. I'm in a band called BandX (
www.bandx.net
) We play pretty much all over the place, come on out and I'll buy you a drink for sure...

Good deal, Al - I like Yuengling, draft, ice cold... :thu: I noticed on your website that you play Pavinci Italian Bar & Grill in Hopatcong - I was just there last Friday, subbing (on keys) w/a band called "Jokers Wild" - nice guys, been at forever... :p Al, I'll email you my contact info, if you're ever looking to add keys for a special occasion (private party, wedding, street fair, etc...) - I'm sure I could slide right in. :cool:

• Members

Good deal, Al - I like Yuengling, draft, ice cold...
:thu:
I noticed on your website that you play Pavinci Italian Bar & Grill in Hopatcong - I was just there last Friday, subbing (on keys) w/a band called "Jokers Wild" - nice guys, been at forever...
:p
Al, I'll email you my contact info, if you're ever looking to add keys for a special occasion (private party, wedding, street fair, etc...) - I'm sure I could slide right in.
:cool:

Thanks much for the offer.

Take care

Al

Archived