Wireless - Shure vs. AT

• Members

I'm looking at purchase of a wireless handheld mic. systems & have been comparing the following:

Audio Technica ATW-3141D (the AT 3000 series, w/the dynamic mic.)

Shure SLX24/58 (the Shure SLX series w/an SM58 mic. capsule)

Both look to be solid midline systems from reputable names. The Shure seems to be about 150 bucks more than the AT.

Can anyone w/exp. w/either of these puppies illustrate some of the finer details I might be overlooking?

Issues I've considered:

- type of battery (both take AA's I think, which is cheaper than 9 volt)

- battery life & meter

- automatic frequency scanning

- rackmountable, w/ability to permanently install antennas in front (w/adapter kit, if needed)

- C or D band

- brightness of display, in mic. and receiver unit

Thx :thu::cool:

• Members

I use the AT units and I am very happy with them. We change the (AA) batteries every show but we also use them in rehearsal. We rehearse 3 or 4 hours at a time and the batteries last 3 to 4 rehearsals. There is a bright red "alert" light on the receiver in that rack that will give some warning about the battery. Unfortunatly we never spend to much time looking and we did have the mic shut down during one of the first shows with the system. That is why we replace them every show now. There are kits to move the antennas in front (attached to the rack ears). We have three units with two of the units antennas in front and one in back. We have never had a reception problem with them (yet). The freqs are set on the units (no scanning) but there are a lot of freqs to choose from. The display on the mic does not have a back light but the receivers display has battery and reception meters.

We are very happy with these and I don't have any experience with the Shure units but I expect that they will be good, as well.

• Members

I have installed a lot (like 40-50) of the AT units and had I think one problem with a bad transmitter. That's pretty good for a wireless product IMO.

Wow - that's a pretty good endorsement right there, Andy :thu::wave:

Archived