This could be bad.......

• Members

I've been expanding my PA system in the hopes of running sound for local bands this summer. I've got a pair of 15" tops, a pair of 18" subs, and a pair of 15" monitors. I've got a 16 channel MixWiz mixer, 2 dual 31-band graphic EQ's, a 2 way/3 way crossover, a compressor/limiter/gate, and 2 power amps (one for FOH and one for the monitors).

I was just starting to feel like everything was ready when I realized something----even though my mixer can give 4 different Aux monitor mixes, I don't have the speakers/amps to handle that many mixes. If I run each 15" monitor from separate amp channels on the monitor amp, I could send an Aux send to each channel, giving me 2 monitor mixes. What happens when I'm mixing for a 4-piece band that wants 4 different mixes? Do I need to buy MORE monitors and power amps? I really can't afford to spend much more money.......

• CMS Author

I've been expanding my PA system in the hopes of running sound for local bands this summer. I've got a pair of 15" tops, a pair of 18" subs, and a pair of 15" monitors. I've got a 16 channel MixWiz mixer, 2 dual 31-band graphic EQ's, a 2 way/3 way crossover, a compressor/limiter/gate, and 2 power amps (one for FOH and one for the monitors).

I was just starting to feel like everything was ready when I realized something----even though my mixer can give 4 different Aux monitor mixes, I don't have the speakers/amps to handle that many mixes. If I run each 15" monitor from separate amp channels on the monitor amp, I could send an Aux send to each channel, giving me 2 monitor mixes. What happens when I'm mixing for a 4-piece band that wants 4 different mixes? Do I need to buy MORE monitors and power amps? I really can't afford to spend much more money.......

The only way to provide 4 separate mixes is to have 4 separate channels of EQ's, amps and speakers.

When the 4-piece band requests 4 mixes, you politely tell them you can provide 2. You can get by better as you expand if you first buy the two additional speakers and use a pair on each mix, and then get EQ's and amps.

Adds up fast, doesn't it?;)

• Members

Short answer :"yes"

Longer answer: Each monitor mix requires an EQ (31 band preferred), an amp channel (assuming you are running full range monitors - i.e. not bi-amping), and a monitor cabinet.

If you are bi-amping your monitors then you will need a crossover and 2 or 3 channels of amplification (side flls and drum monitors are often tri-amped).

• Members

You can get by without an eq on the monitors if you have to. A total of two monitor speakers isn't enough for a lot of bands. I know it wouldn't work for mine. At least get two more speakers, so that everybody can hear something using the two mixes you have. When you get the cash, get another amp so that you can have 4 independent mixes, than add eq if you think you need it.

• Members

Or you could consider renting a couple powered speakers and another EQ for monitor duty when 4 mixes are requested/required.

good suggestion.

i wouldn't ever suggest running monitors without eq, thats a recipe for disaster...

as has been said, the next step is probably best being 2 more boxes so you have a pair on each mix, often that will split between rhythm section and singers, then you can add an amp and eq for your 4 full mixes...

• Members

good suggestion.

i wouldn't ever suggest running monitors without eq, thats a recipe for disaster...

No it's not. I've run monitors without eq for years. There are times when a little tweaking would be nice, but for the most part there haven't been any problems with it at all.

• Members

i guess it's more mission critical when you're dealing with vocalists with handhelds than for drums, keys, sidefill, that kinda thing.

i wouldn't want to monitor vocals without eq...

• Members

Depends on the quality ofthe monitor system, the SPL required, the amount of gain needed versus SPL required and the expectation of the act.

My monitor system is really flat, biamped 12's all around and I CAN run w/out eq if all of the above are reasonable... but I wouldn't want to.

If the system is not really flat out of the box, eq becomes more necessary IMO.

• Members

Depends on the quality ofthe monitor system, the SPL required, the amount of gain needed versus SPL required and the expectation of the act.

My monitor system is really flat, biamped 12's all around and I CAN run w/out eq if all of the above are reasonable... but I wouldn't want to.

If the system is not really flat out of the box, eq becomes more necessary IMO.

:thu: Yup!

I am also running bi-amped monitors (EV FM1202s), and decent mics (Shure Beta58s), but even then, if you are in a bad room, you WILL need an EQ.

Most of my work is outdoors, and even there, the tent reflections alone can be enough to necessatate use an an EQ.

Archived