Cable prices suck

• Members

How do the 1/4" on the speakers cause amp damage? That's the only kind of speakers I've ever used for live functions and never had any issues. We don't crank up this system. Quite often we only need a third of what we have for power and only use a bass on a few songs. Mainly just keyboards and vocals, an accoustic guitar on 3 songs.

• Members

Yes, I am very careful on cable inserting. I'm the only one who sets up the PA system and we all like it that way.

So it shorts out by the cable tip contacting the speaker recepticle sleeve? Even without the speaker being grounded to the amp? Or only when both the tip and sleeve of the cable contact the sleeve in the speaker recepticle?

• Members

Do yourself a favor and replace those dual 1/4" jacks with speakon NL4MPs (Panel Mount, D series size). If the BR series is connected the same as the Club series, the jacks are fastened using spade lugs. These fit perfect on the speakons spade lugs so the only consideration is the physical placement of the speakon jacks. On my SM12IVs I replaced the metal jack plate with one prestamped for dual speakons. The BR picture looks like they used a plastic jack plate, easy to burr out with a dremel type tool.

Then you can use simple speakon to speakon cables. The NL4 is FAR more common than NL2, even for 2 wire cables.

Boomerweps

• Members
Do yourself a favor and replace those dual 1/4" jacks with speakon NL4MPs (Panel Mount, D series size). If the BR series is connected the same as the Club series, the jacks are fastened using spade lugs. These fit perfect on the speakons spade lugs so the only consideration is the physical placement of the speakon jacks. On my SM12IVs I replaced the metal jack plate with one prestamped for dual speakons. The BR picture looks like they used a plastic jack plate, easy to burr out with a dremel type tool.

Then you can use simple speakon to speakon cables. The NL4 is FAR more common than NL2, even for 2 wire cables.

Boomerweps

So I use the same plate but just take out the actual 1/4" jacks themselves? That looks a little tricky. Here what the backside of the panel looks like:

BR15-outlet.JPG

Just making sure I wouldn't replace the panel as an assembly and solder in the new connections as that would require something exists that fits this hole properly.

• Members

On the club series the jackplate is seperate from the crossover.

That does look a little trick but doable. It looks like there's enough space to unsolder the crossover, unscrew the crossover from the plate on the four plastic posts, remove the 1/4" jacks, ream out the holes to fit the speakon jacks, mount the speakons, use some wire to solder the speakon terminals, connect the new wires to the old crossover wires, reconnect the crossover to the jack plate and reinstall. Not as easy as I first thought ;>(

Might be easier to have speakon to 1/4" cables. Or pick up a couple NA4LJ (new version NA4LJX), a speakon with a 1/4" jack internal adapter and just use your old 1/4" to 1/4". IF I was replace the jacks in the BR15 (or 12), I'd look at remote mounting the crossover in the box seperate from the input jacks.

boomerweps

• Members

i use only nl4fc on my cables simply because thats what i buy, i am not familiar with the nl4fx series, but i googled and looked it up. they look compatible with the nl4... male ends, but other than the exterior changes what arethe differences between nl4fc and nl4fx?

is one better or do they just look different?

exactly what are the exterior changes?

• Members

All NL-4..'s are interchangable. The NL-2's are NOT interchangable w/ NL-4's I believe in the cable direction... can't plug an NL-4 cable into an NL-2 jack. Mark will know exactly as I just never use NL-2's for the compatability and inventory reasons.

• Members

further reading learns me that nl4fc is rated at 30A rms while the nl4fx is rated 50A rms.

uh oh, i know someone who uses nl4fc's in a bridged plx3402 setup. i think thats more than 30A.

i use non bridged 3602's with nl4fc's. i dont think thats more than 30A rms.

i also use an unbridged crown xs900 with nl4fc's, again under 30A.

am i blind? i cant see any ratings for the panelmount nl4m*'s

• Members

since you were looking for folks that aren't affiliated with audiophile but have used their products, I will chime in. I ordered some 1/4", speakon and mic cables from them about 2 or 3 months ago. So far, they are all working out fine. Prices were better than local stores and about the same as the discount places on the net so I gave them a try. Seems like a good product at a good price.

• Members

FWIW before we start the "sky is falling if you don't change over immediately to NL4 jacks" thread, first off realized this is a yamaha BR15 we're talking about. Entry level cab, may get replaced sooner than any piece of gear in the system... Yes it would be better with speakons instead of 1/4 BUT consider the PITA of converting especially with someone who may not be qualified to do it.

OP: if you feel that you must change over them simply get a pair of NL4MPR (big ones) and drill into the cab near the input plate. Solder directly to the input plate to the NL4MPRs. Changing out the actual input plate could be very tricky. I did this with a lot of the cabs I have and this means I can still use the 1/4 jacks in a pinch, all of my speaker cable is now speakon; NL2 for most cable and NL4 for jacks/panels/speakers etc.

p

(yes NL2MP will only accept NL2FC. NL4MP® will accept both NL2FC and NL4FC)

• Members

I don't feel the need to convert anything since as I stated earlier, I've always used 1/4" input speakers and have never had a problem. We don't need a lot of sound reinforcement and if I ever upgrade or replace the speakers, I'll just go with something like an SP2 which has speakon. I don't need much, it's a hobby and an entry level band.

• Members
2) Inadvertent partial unplug of the connection during performance, which was addressed by Switchcraft years ago with the lock ring style Switchcraft male 1/4 TS ends, but unfortunately I don't believe that end is available any more.

I've never seen one of those, but Neutrik still makes their locking 1/4" TS jacks. Bag End uses or used them in their speaker cabinet and I believe Conklin still uses them on their custom guitars and basses.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=092-084
092-084m.jpg

Archived