terrible sound guy at gig

• Members

Just played a gig last weekend with a loaned PA system/soundguy. Our band had been having PA problems, so our lead singer got some friends to bring their PA and run it for free. BAD idea. These guys run PA system for their band, but they were far from professional.

I can't say anything bad about the FOH guy. Overall, I thought he did a decent job. But the monitor guy couldn't have done worse if he tried.

Our drummer sang 3 songs that night using a headset mic, and for some reason his mic was kept down until we played his songs. After he sang the first few lyrics, the FOH would bring him back up, but when the montior guy tried to do the same all he got was feedback. I watched him raise the fader until feedback resulted, then drop it back down and shake his head in bewilderment. This was in the middle of a ballad. I don't know how many times he repeated this process in the course of that song, but it ruined the song. He continued this method in between songs, and I finally told our lead singer to make him stop. No monitor sound is better than feedback! It doesn't matter how many times you raise and drop the fader, feedback is still going to result unless you do some troubleshooting! I felt really bad for our drummer. He's got a really great voice, and his songs were ruined.

I know we didn't have to pay for their service, but I think we could have done a lot better without any "favors." I volunteered my PA system, which would have gotten the job done, but our lead singer opted for her friend's. It just really frustrates me to see someone who has no clue what they're doing make a mess of things.

• Members

Just played a gig last weekend with a loaned PA system/soundguy. Our band had been having PA problems, so our lead singer got some friends to bring their PA
and run it for free.
BAD idea.

Many times you get what you pay for.

Sorry it worked out that way for you.

Often sad but true, Winston.

• Members

How strong a singer is the drummer. I've had it happen multiple times where the drummer wouldn't put out much volume. Then I'd have to run the gain a too hot and feedback ensues with a hot gain and a soft singer. Then he says he can't hear his voice in the monitor, bring that up and feedback city... I'm not saying the monitor guy wasn't messing up, just throwing out some details that could drastically change the circumstances of the problems.

• Members

It just really frustrates me to see someone who has no clue what they're doing make a mess of things.

And I'm continually amazed at the number of bands that will sit just anybody behind the board. Everybody thinks that they're a sound man.............:rolleyes:

• Members

Everybody thinks that they're a sound man.............
:rolleyes:

I got my wife a shirt that says "Sound Girl", does that count? ;)

I agree, a good set and forget is better than someone who either has no clue or changes things than doesn't watch.

• Members

Been there. I've had my share of bad "soundmen" in the past as well. Nothing is better than when the guy running the board is so drunk he can barely walk. Anyway, there isn't much you can do about it now. The gig is over, so take this as a lesson learned the hard way. At least now you know enough to never let it happen again.

• Members

I hate know-it-all's who think they can work the desk/outboard/P.A., in fact anything musical.

'You're playing that guitar wrong'

'don't do it that way watch how I'd do it ...SSSSSSCCCCRRRREEEEEEEEECCCCHH!' from the FOH

and the drunk dripping his pint over the desk offering his "advice" :poke:

I'm just starting my music career and am willing to take advice from anyone who knows what they're talking about. But from my little experience you can tell the bluffers a mile off.

I've found the best way to get rid of them is to tell them you are doing a job and need to be left alone to work, and if that doesn't work the first couple of times you have to be rude or show them the DFA channel/button/compressor

how do other more seasoned soundguys cope with know-it-all's

Oops I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread:blah:

• Members

We're trying the "a smart band it better than a bad engineer". We lost our engineer to a new job with rotating shifts He's a one in a thousand sound guy, friend, repair guy, really can do it all. He'll be available for our remaining half dozen or so corporate and wedding gigs for the remainder of 07 but no bars or much of anything in 08. We've been playing for 7 years now and pretty much have it down. E-drums and no egos help tremendously. The harmonizer and compression for the other vocals is great too. The keys and guitar guy have rhythm volume patches and solo volume patches (about 6 dB hotter).

Patch panels, patch snakes and the Brother P-touch labeler are huge time savers too. Everyone has a PA / lighting specific job to do in addition to setting up their gear.

First time running sound alone since our 20th or so show was this past weekend (our 340+ show) for a college homecoming festival and it worked beautifully. Not what I'd prefer to do as it's added stress, but it's more coin in our pockets and we get a more consistant sound than a "flavor of the day sound guy". I'm the front guy (singer) and make any needed tweaks during solos. Running my monitors post fade and with very little back line volume, I have a pretty good estimation of what it sounds like out front.

Archived