Rackmount for MixWiz

• Members

I am looking at getting a small-format mixer (though it will actually be larger-format than anything I've had thus far! :thu:) like the Allen & Heath MixWiz3 or the Peavey FX16 & am considering rackmount options.

I know there's a lot of MixWiz users here, as it seems to be the #1 recommendation as a quality small-format mixer... what do you people use to rackmount these suckers? I own a Raxxess ConvertaRack 10/6 - which was great lightweight solution for a smaller mixer - 10 rack spaces on a pop-up rail w/6 spaces below for other stuff (power, effects, cd player, etc...). But the popup rackmount rails are not big enough for the dimensions of these larger units like the MixWiz3.

Most gigs I just show up as a keyboard player and PA is someone else's problem. ;) But lately I've been picking up a number of gigs where I booked it, so I have to supply PA. I'm looking for a small, lightweight solution - I think even if the ConvertaRack 10/6 would accomodate a 16 ch. mixer, it would get too heavy by the time I filled it w/other stuff below (cd plyr., power amp, etc...), since I'd have to navigate up and down my narrow basement stairs w/it for every gig... plus the fly-out handles are a pain because they add a couple xtra inches on the overall width that makes it hard to get thru the bsmt. doorway w/out scraping my knuckles!

So I do want something portable and easy to maneuver in and out of the house - which is why I think that instead of stacking everything into one case like the ConvertaRack, I'd be better of splitting into 2 or 3 lighter-weight rackmount cases.

The SKB Popup Rackmount ATA Mixer Cases look pretty cool - does anyone use them?

:cool:

• CMS Author

The OP's got a typical problem. Working alone, as it seems he is, he'll have a hard time with a Raxxess unit of that size if he encounters stairs. So he needs separate cases and racks. But that becomes a wiring issue, so he would need some patch snakes to connect everything efficiently. Patch panels and multipin would really simplify things, with the tradeoff being increased cost and some limited expansion.

• Members

I got mine in a Road Ready rack. Works great. Here is a link to the rack.

http://www.roadreadycases.com/prodetail.php?sku=RR12M12UC

The Mixwiz works best if you can permanently wire it. It would be a PITA to wire it every show. Attached is a pic of my rack.

That looks cool but at 99lbs. - the weight of the rack, when it's empty! - it's way out of the question for me... :cry:

• Members

SKB's new Mighty Gig Rig '07 is designed for exactly what you want.

sku_view_image.php?id=217&role=image_alt

Interior Width 19.0000 in

Interior Height 29.5000 in

Exterior Width 24.0000 in

Exterior Height 32.0000 in

Rack Space Units Total 20

Rack Space Units Top 14

Rack Space Units Bottom 6

Rack Depth Rail to Rail 26.0000 in

Rack Depth Front Rail to Back Lid 28.2500 in

Shipping Weight 72.0000 lb

Product Weight 64.4000 lb

• Members

The OP's got a typical problem. Working alone, as it seems he is, he'll have a hard time with a Raxxess unit of that size if he encounters stairs. So he needs separate cases and racks. But that becomes a wiring issue, so he would need some patch snakes to connect everything efficiently. Patch panels and multipin would really simplify things, with the tradeoff being increased cost and some limited expansion.

Craig, you're right on the money - :wave::thu:

I do work "alone," not in the sense of a "Solo" act (though I do that on rare occasions)... but rather, any time I'm supplying my own PA, it's probably a pickup gig where any number of musicians I've contracted to do the gig (whoever's available for that date) might be on the job - so I can't really count on help w/the load-in, like you could if you always play with a set band w/same musicians (which most of my other gigs are). And so I need to able to lift and load-in gear myself - which does mean that separate cases and racks is probably a better way to go, even though it means more wiring and patching in.

:cool:

• Members

SKB's new Mighty Gig Rig '07 is designed for exactly what you want.

Interior Width 19.0000 in

Interior Height 29.5000 in

Exterior Width 24.0000 in

Exterior Height 32.0000 in

Rack Space Units Total 20

Rack Space Units Top 14

Rack Space Units Bottom 6

Rack Depth Rail to Rail 26.0000 in

Rack Depth Front Rail to Back Lid 28.2500 in

Shipping Weight 72.0000 lb

Product Weight 64.4000 lb

Thanks for the suggestion Bill but I think that's still too heavy, at 64lbs. empty... my Raxxess ConvertaRack is only 35 lbs. empty - so if the MixWiz3 16:2 does fit in it, I'd just use it. However, I'm not convinced it will, which is why I'm scoping out other options.

Plus, the idea of dividing into separate racks/cases is appealing since the weight is more evenly distributed that way - ie, in the under 50lbs. range, per piece. :thu:

• Members

I used to have my MixWizard in a RoadReady 10 top/6 bottom. For me to use a lot lower connections I had to use right angle connecters. I had Audiopile build me a custom snake.

I used that for a while, racked a few things in it and weight was to much. So I purchased the RRM19M and I haven't looked back. I took out the Mixwiz and purcashed a 01v96 which fits like a glove.

Although now I am looking at getting an EWI combo case (once funds are available) and "permently" mount my 01V96/ADA8000/drawer/back-up power supple/EQ into a standing 12x16 standing case.

My personal thoughts on the SKB Mighty GigRig... its Bigger than it looks in the pictures. Case remind me of a rubermaid tote. I have never been a fan of SKB cases or plastic case. I have 2 12 spaces, 1 sits at home with old gear racked in it... the 2nd is on regular duty till I get a new case. Then it'll sit inside the house.

Also I would take a MixWizard over the FX16 any day.

• Members

I've got a similar problem. I have a 16 channel MixWiz mixer in a slant top rack case with about 14 or 16 spaces underneath. I have to fold the rear panel on the MixWiz to make it fit, which makes cabling a little awkward. But the biggest problem is lugging the rack around. I've got my power amps, EQ's, and everything in that rack, and it probably weighs almost as much as I do. Of course, it has casters, but those don't help on stairs. I can't get this baby up and down steps without help, and I can't always rely on getting help.

Another problem is the location of the power amps. Like I said, I have everything, power amps included, in one rack. If I'm going to set my mixing station up 50 feet or more in front of the stage, then my speaker cables aren't long enough to reach from the stage to my power amps. I think I'll need to break down the rack so that the power amps can be close to the stage and my mixer and processors can be with me out in front of the stage. But how does the wiring work over those long distances? I guess I'll have to use a snake?

Sorry for butting into the thread, but this seemed related to your problem.

• Members

I've got a similar problem. I have a 16 channel MixWiz mixer in a slant top rack case with about 14 or 16 spaces underneath. I have to fold the rear panel on the MixWiz to make it fit, which makes cabling a little awkward. But the biggest problem is lugging the rack around. I've got my power amps, EQ's, and everything in that rack, and it probably weighs almost as much as I do. Of course, it has casters, but those don't help on stairs. I can't get this baby up and down steps without help, and I can't always rely on getting help.

Another problem is the location of the power amps. Like I said, I have everything, power amps included, in one rack. If I'm going to set my mixing station up 50 feet or more in front of the stage, then my speaker cables aren't long enough to reach from the stage to my power amps. I think I'll need to break down the rack so that the power amps can be close to the stage and my mixer and processors can be with me out in front of the stage. But how does the wiring work over those long distances? I guess I'll have to use a snake?

Sorry for butting into the thread, but this seemed related to your problem.

Hosa makes a 12 channel patch bay for XLR cables. The male and female I/Os are reversible. My racks are both permanently wire with the I/Os on the front of the FOH rack and the back of the stage rack. We use two racks and have installed drawers in each rack for storage. Works great. Just a long or short snake between the two racks and we are ready to go. Here are some more pics.

• Members

Hosa makes a 12 channel patch bay for XLR cables. The male and female I/Os are reversible. My racks are both permanently wire with the I/Os on the front of the FOH rack and the back of the stage rack. We use two racks and have installed drawers in each rack for storage. Works great. Just a long or short snake between the two racks and we are ready to go. Here are some more pics.

Do you have Speakon outputs in that Hosa patch bay in the power amp rack? I have two of those patch bays in my studio, and they're very solid - if Speakon connectors fit, I might have to pick up a couple of those for the live rig! :)

• Members

Yep. Bought from
www.audioeast.com
It is a fine case. Makes me want to get my rollerblades out everytime i use those nice wheels.

That's the case I have my MixWiz in, too. :thu: It works just fine. I wish it was a little deeper, so I could have left the mixer inputs rotated to the back instead of underneath. I need to look into some right-angle patch cables and a couple of those Hosa patch bays... :D

• Members

Do you have Speakon outputs in that Hosa patch bay in the power amp rack? I have two of those patch bays in my studio, and they're very solid - if Speakon connectors fit, I might have to pick up a couple of those for the live rig!
:)

Yep I put Speakons in the stage rack. They run from the Crown K1 out to the subs. Our tops are PRX512s so they just need an XLR. You do have to widen the holes a little but it works great. I also did a little cutting on the back to allow the heavier cabling from the amp to the external connector.

• Members

Speakon NL4MP (Mount, Panel) are made to fit Neutrik D series cutouts. You can also get NL4MP-ST for a screw terminal vice spade lug version. To fit males and female XLRs and speakons on the same panel, just get one prepunched for the D series and just use Neutriks. You can even fit PowerCons on them ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

Thanks, man. That looks like the solution to my problem. I should have more than enough extra rack space to fit in a patch bay, and it'll make my life a lot easier. Just wondering, though, where are your power amps? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

• Members

Thanks, man. That looks like the solution to my problem. I should have more than enough extra rack space to fit in a patch bay, and it'll make my life a lot easier. Just wondering, though, where are your power amps? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Since we use powered tops we only need one amp for the subs. The amp is a Crown K1 at the bottom of the pic. The rack has 2 wireless mics (AT 3000) a PODxt Pro, a Bass PODxt Pro, 3 Shure PSM200s, and the Crown K1.

Archived