Clamp-on meter

• CMS Author

Right you are.

Neither of my two newer newer lappys do not (my antique IBM Thinkpad does IIRC) but there are plenty of USB to RS232 adapters. I have yet to confirm how well these adapters will do this translation in concert with the given TES-3063 software.

I'm chatting with the MTC instrument tech-boy on this and related points via email so answers may be forthcoming on these points.

I have confirmed that at least one of the decent local tool shops (KMS tools) now sell MTC instruments and no longer stock Fluke (but will order Fluke in)
http://www.kmstools.com/

The unit seems interesting, the price seems very competitive, and it appears to cover a decent number of my requisites.

TES 3063 $725.00

http://www.mtpinc.com/Products.htm?CD=38&ID=107

Fluke 345 (on sale) $1,394.95

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+345.htm

Then there is this animal for $395.00. The "Mastech 3 phase Power Factor clamp Meter", I am not yet sure of it's capabilities / build quality, but it does have an RS232C interface and "special bundle windows data graphic software"

http://www.p-mastech.com/products/03_dpcm/ms2203.html

I wouldn't get a unit that uses RS-232. It's ancient technology by computer interface standards. Yes, there are plenty of USB-to-RS-232 adpaters out there. I've had to use them with some devices. Let's just say, they're "interesting" to use, and leave it at that. If you get paid to f-around trying to get the meter to talk to the PC, then maybe it's worth the money saved.

• Members

I wouldn't get a unit that uses RS-232. It's ancient technology by computer interface standards. Yes, there are plenty of USB-to-RS-232 adpaters out there. I've had to use them with some devices. Let's just say, they're "interesting" to use, and leave it at that. If you get paid to f-around trying to get the meter to talk to the PC, then maybe it's worth the money saved.

Updates.....

All is not lost when it comes to RS232 even though RS232 itself is antiquated and I question why a modern meter would still use it!

I have used a number of MIDI interfaces over the years that have worked just fine with native RS232. I have an old IBM ThinkPad with native RS232 I could donate to the cause.

For newer lappys without native RS232:

USB to RS232 adapters may more be problematic depending on the associated hardware / software / brand of adapter however RS232 to PCMCIA adapters are less likely to be a problem.

Did you try the Quatech SSP-100 RS232 to PCMCIA adapter?

Some Quatech hype: "Because they share electronic fundamentals with native bus architectures such as PCI and ISA, they function exactly like standard COM ports and can be addressed as such by most application software."

Some user comments: "I currently use serial ports on my laptop for specialized color equipment and usb plugs dont work and the older laptops are becoming hard to find (we get maybe 20 a year and sell them off with the instruments) however we discovered a great PCMCIA card by a company named quatech that functions just fine with it and offers the ability to move it from computer to computer with ease the card costs about 100 bucks but i still prefer to get laptops with them built in. usually ibm if available." http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=42305&messageID=496061

Close to home my computer shop of choice sells a "SIIG" PCM to RS232 card for $57.60. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=222252580&vpn=JJ-PCM012-S2&manufacture=SIIG

Some SIIG hype: "Single serial PC Card adds one high-speed serial port (RS232) to your notebook computer through a PC card adapter. It works with notebook PC with one Type II/III PC Card slot. This card features fast 16550 UART supports baud rate up to 115.2 Kbps and built-in 16-byte FIFO buffer to speed up data transfer. The device works with various types of RS-232 serial devices including modems; PDAs; label printers; bar code scanners; digital cameras and more. Device Type Serial adapter Form Factor Plug-in module Interface (Bus) Type PC Card Cabling Type Serial Data Link Protocol RS-232 Data Transfer Rate 115.2 Kbps System Requirements Microsoft Windows Server 2003; Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP"

• Members

All I want to be able to do is to use a meter (or any tool) to get the job done. I don't want to be an I.T. person too, while solving the real problem that is costing the company a lot of money while I screq with the computers. Here's where the old guys got it right.

• Members

To clarify further:

I have just spent 50% of the last 6 days writing up paperwork and prints by hand for a plant expansion I am responsible for commissioning.

I had to do it all with pen and paper

• CMS Author

Updates.....

All is not lost when it comes to RS232 even though RS232 itself is antiquated and I question why a modern meter would still use it!

I have used a number of MIDI interfaces over the years that have worked just fine with native RS232. I have an old IBM ThinkPad with native RS232 I could donate to the cause.

For newer lappys without native RS232:

USB to RS232 adapters may more be problematic depending on the associated hardware / software / brand of adapter however RS232 to PCMCIA adapters are less likely to be a problem.

Did you try the Quatech SSP-100 RS232 to PCMCIA adapter?

Some Quatech hype: "Because they share electronic fundamentals with native bus architectures such as PCI and ISA, they function exactly like standard COM ports and can be addressed as such by most application software."

Some user comments: "I currently use serial ports on my laptop for specialized color equipment and usb plugs dont work and the older laptops are becoming hard to find (we get maybe 20 a year and sell them off with the instruments) however we discovered a great PCMCIA card by a company named quatech that functions just fine with it and offers the ability to move it from computer to computer with ease the card costs about 100 bucks but i still prefer to get laptops with them built in. usually ibm if available."
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=42305&messageID=496061

Close to home my computer shop of choice sells a "SIIG" PCM to RS232 card for $57.60.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=222252580&vpn=JJ-PCM012-S2&manufacture=SIIG

Some SIIG hype: "Single serial PC Card adds one high-speed serial port (RS232) to your notebook computer through a PC card adapter. It works with notebook PC with one Type II/III PC Card slot. This card features fast 16550 UART supports baud rate up to 115.2 Kbps and built-in 16-byte FIFO buffer to speed up data transfer. The device works with various types of RS-232 serial devices including modems; PDAs; label printers; bar code scanners; digital cameras and more. Device Type Serial adapter Form Factor Plug-in module Interface (Bus) Type PC Card Cabling Type Serial Data Link Protocol RS-232 Data Transfer Rate 115.2 Kbps System Requirements Microsoft Windows Server 2003; Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP"

Is there a reason behind avoiding a meter with USB capability? You even ask why manufacturers are still using them...because they're either not paying attention to what's currently available, or they're cutting cost by using old hardware and software rather than investing in a USB solution in their product. Neither is something I want to invest in.

The prospect of having to use a dinosaur laptop just for rs-232 is another problem...I've attempted to run XP on old Thinkpads and it's simply a dog. Using older OS's just adds one more layer of obsolescence to your rig.

IMHO if you're gonna go the RS-232 route, may as well shop a used meter too....or steal back one of the ones you lost.....:idea:

• Members

No avoidance on my part just a cost / feature comparo.

I run Win98 Lite on my old Thinkpad, it's very fast and boots with the same vigor as my newest two XP lappy's, it's at least, if not more crash resistant as compared to my two newest XP lappy's, albeit the Win98 Lite / Thinkpad's no match for my newest SATA2 / Intel core duo desktop, nor my two newest XP lappy's in terms of overall functionality.

I disagree that dedicating a "dinosaur laptop" with a modestly priced full featured RS232 meter "adds one more layer of obsolescence to your rig". In fact it's a logical, economic single ended match that can successfully be kept as is for years.

Buying a used full featured clamp meter with USB (so far) does not appear very likely......have you seen any about?

Archived