Fair price for used pair of JBL K140s, and repair?

• Members

I went into a pawn shop over the summer looking for old audio gear and I left with a NAD 1020 preamp. Nice. Also there I saw a pair of JBL K140s sitting in the middle of a shelf full of car audio garbage speakers. The K140s specs appear very solid and just the kind of thing I'm looking for, to go with a pair of Altec 511B horns and 808 drivers I have, for my hi-fi setup. The cones and edges appear good, but the problem is they both have a voice coil rub. The pawn shop employees know nothing about these speakers, I asked them what they price was so they phoned up and checked with their boss. $375 Canadian for a pair of K140s needing voice coil repair! I didn't buy them.

I recently passed by that place again when I took my dad's car for an oil change(across the street from the VW dealer's) and they're still there. I'm thinking I could start leveraging the boss to give me a better deal if I work on them enough and trade in some junk.

What should I offer for a pair of these in need of repair? What about estimated repair cost?

Thanks

• Members

WAY too expensive. We recone these with the upgraded (Kapton) parts and usually use the 2220 dustcap for about $135 each.

I have regularly seen them for sale needing recones in the $15 to $30 range. I have a couple myself that have been needing recones for years and I have never really had a desperate need to spend the money for them.

• Members

You need to demonstrate to the shop owner that they rub, and need rebuilding, then offer him the $20-25 for each.

The other possible problem is that the magnets have shifted, and are partially causing the rubbing. Not impossible to fix, but may be extra on top of the reconing.

Lots of other options for the money they're asking for those.

Best regards,

John

• Members

The other possible problem is that the magnets have shifted, and are partially causing the rubbing. Not impossible to fix, but may be extra on top of the reconing.

John: I've seen a lot of shifted pole pieces or magnets... none of which shifted "partially" enough that the VC rubs a little. When they shift, they seem to shift..."Bang" against one or the other... tight. There is no rubbing of the voicecoil cause there is no movement of the voicecoil... cause it's frozen in-place. That's my experience anyway.

Oh... an my experience in demonstrating to a pawnshoppe owner that something they think is worth real money is all but worthless because my experience has determined it's worthless therefore the pawnshoppe owner needs to see things my way is like herding cats. Either the pawnshoppe owner will figure it out... and will unload them on the first sucker who walks through the door, or the pawnshoppe owner doesn't know/care, and will still unload them on the first sucker who walks through the door. IMO: The OP will be much better off seeking and buying something from a seller who knows and is willing to admit what it is that's being sold. A few years ago I sold 8ea. (as I remember) origional K-140's NOS on eBay w/ $1 opening bid no reserve... satisfaction guaranteed. As I remember they sold for about $100ea. +/- $25ea.

• Members
John: I've seen a lot of shifted pole pieces or magnets... none of which shifted "partially" enough that the VC rubs a little. When they shift, they seem to shift..."Bang" against one or the other... tight. There is no rubbing of the voicecoil cause there is no movement of the voicecoil... cause it's frozen in-place. That's my experience anyway.

My experience as well. They don't just drift.

• Members

Thanks for all the information everyone. I think K-140s will be a little out of reach for the scope of this project...shipping would kill me. I'll probably use an Eminence Gamma 15...it has a low Qts like I need, but it just doesn't have the K-140's sensitivity which is what I was really after. Well that and the monster magnet. Still, I have enough sensitivity to use low-power(10 watt) Class A solid state amps.

• Members

My experience as well. They don't just drift.

Good point, I can't recall one where it hadn't taken a hit and locked up solid. The K140's more than likely have a warped voice coil former from overheating. I gotta stop sniffing airplane glue first thing in the morning. :freak:;)

Mark-I should have mentioned that I was indeed being very optimistic WRT the pawn shop owner's knowledge and compassion.:cop:

Best regards,

John

• Members

Thanks for all the information everyone. I think K-140s will be a little out of reach for the scope of this project...shipping would kill me. I'll probably use an Eminence Gamma 15...it has a low Qts like I need, but it just doesn't have the K-140's sensitivity which is what I was really after. Well that and the monster magnet. Still, I have enough sensitivity to use low-power(10 watt) Class A solid state amps.

Hey Bikehorn,

I have a pair of fresh reconed Altec drivers that may fit the bitt for you as well, I'm asking for just the cost of the recone and they come with a 30 day warranty too. PM me if you are interested.

I also have a fresh recone 2220 available.

Archived