M I C R O P H O N E S

• Members

im looking to get a microphone and i wanted some recommendations...

i was looking at the shure beta 87a and the electro voice re20...

itll be used for vocals and i want something that is wont get damaged easily and is really good quality

i was also thinking of using it with the two tc helicon voicetone pedals and mogami cables into the vocal input of one of my amps...

• Members

What are you going to be mic'ing?

The Beta87a is a "love it" or "hate it" mic. Some singers it sound awesome, but the next singer it sounds like poop. A band I BE with has a Beta87A, every PA we have worked with, it has a completely different sound than the last PA we where on.

For spending $250...

The Audix OM7 is really nice, however you have to kiss that mic or you'll have no sound out of it. High gain before feeback due it its tighter pattern.

Sennheiser e935 or e945

Shure Beta58a

beyerdynamic M88TG

agedhorse: for live situation you could use the RE20 to mic Bass Guitar Cabs and Kick Drums.

In the studio the RE20 can be used for almost everything.

• Members

agedhorse: for live situation you could use the RE20 to mic Bass Guitar Cabs and Kick Drums.

In the studio the RE20 can be used for almost everything.

Because the OP is specifically asking about live and vocals, and going through an amp rather than a PA. He's not micing bass or kick.

• Members

why do you say that...what is it about it that makes it hard to use?

It's big, heavy, awfully thick sounding and doesn't have great feedback rejection (uniformity) for THAT application. It's just not a good choice for LIVE vocals. I also like to use a windscreen/spit guard for that type of mic, again big and obtrusive.

• Members

It's big, heavy, awfully thick sounding and doesn't have great feedback rejection (uniformity) for THAT application. It's just not a good choice for LIVE vocals. I also like to use a windscreen/spit guard for that type of mic, again big and obtrusive.

i was thinking that the pedals would thin the sound and i could eq it with them too...maybe not enough tho

• Members

i was thinking that the pedals would thin the sound and i could eq it with them too...maybe not enough tho

Won't do much about the weight, and that's a awfully expensive mic when the specific attributes it's known for are not a benefit and in fact are detrimental IMO.

Archived