best batteries to use with in-ear-monitors?

• Members

Hi guys,

I have a trio of old-guy rockers, what's left of a six-piece group. We've been playing for the last 15 years. These days, it's mostly for fun, but we get together about 2 times a week and are still learning both new and old songs.

I've learned a lot about equipment from you guys. Since the last time I've posted here, we've started using an A&H mixwiz3, Shure beta mics and now, some Shure PSM 200 IEMs. No more floor monitors!!

The PSM 200 are working really well for us; the guy with the pitching problems is doing a lot better, the guy with the hearing problems (me) can hear what's going on better, stuff like that. (By the way, I really like the mixwiz3 and I want to thank all the folks who have suggested that mixer over the months that I've been lurking learning on this forum.

Now I've got a battery question with regard to the IEMs. Should I buy rechargable batteries or regular disposable batteries for the PSM receivers?

Any opinions would be welcome!

• Members

Duracell in the bulk pack from BJ or Costco...

On the wireless mic we could get about 12-15 hours on a 9 volt battery before you could tell the battery was dead at 20 hours the battery light on the wireless mic would go off. We had a Shure T4N with Beta58 mic.

• Members

I appreciate the input.

The PSM 200 use 9 volt batteries. I have some friends in another band who use the the PSM 200s w/E2 phones. They tell me each 200 uses one 9 volt battery a night (4 sets) and that's turning off the receiver in between sets.

Wireless mics I don't use, but I'd love to figure out if any body's had any luck with rechargeable batteries. I'm just wondering if any one has an opinion if a rechargeable will last that long, or if I need to look for volume deals on non-rechargeable batteries?

Thanks again.

• Members

Use the iPower 9V 500mAh. I used them in a PSM200 and am currently using them in my Gen 1 Sennheiser 300 IEM. We play up to 4 hours a night and they have plenty left over. They are the new Lithium Ion technology.

You can find them at thomasdistributing.com. They're about $15 each, but that's the same as only five regular batteries.

• Moderators

Now I've got a battery question with regard to the IEMs. Should I buy rechargable batteries or regular disposable batteries for the PSM receivers?

Any opinions would be welcome!

Forget rechargeables, they're just not cost effective. Alkaline smokes any rechargeable technology.

Like others have said, buy a huge brick of Duracells, and start with a new pair every gig. It's a trivial expense compared to playing a show, and gives peace of mind. You have plenty else to worry about without being concerned about your batteries going out mid gig, or the hassles of recharging batteries and keeping track of which ones are fresh.

Terry D.

• Members

Seriously, the iPower ones aren't the weak 150mAh batteries that Energizer and others make.

I start with a 100% charge every night and have no worries about making it through the night. Used both in my IEMs and my instrument wireless. They are COMPLETELY cost effective as they easily paid for themselves in 5-6 gigs. The LI-Ion charger is a fast charger and it should be fully charged within 30 minutes. As a matter of fact, I never charge my batteries except for whenever I get to the gig. I walk in the door, plug them in and they're fully charged well before we have the system set up. Since I started using them, I know that I'm playing with a fully charged set of batteries, something that I'd never be able to do unless I put brand new alkaline batteries into my wireless systems.

The iPower batteries are NOT comparable to any of the other 9V rechargeable batteries out there.

iPower Lithium Ion 9V Batteries

• Members

I have the MixWiz and PSM200 setup as well. I prefer to use a new 9v each gig, and use the old ones for practice, warm up etc. I put the new one in right before the 1st set. If I were gigging 4-5 times a week and wanted to be cost effective, I'd consider the recharegable. But get a charger good enough to be sure you have a full charge and treat the NiMH batteries correctly (discharge before charging, etc). IEM batteries going dead during a gig = no fun. Lithium 9v? That would probably be the best rechargeable option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Seriously, the iPower ones aren't the weak 150mAh batteries that Energizer and others make.

I start with a 100% charge every night and have no worries about making it through the night. Used both in my IEMs and my instrument wireless. They are COMPLETELY cost effective as they easily paid for themselves in 5-6 gigs. The LI-Ion charger is a fast charger and it should be fully charged within 30 minutes. As a matter of fact, I never charge my batteries except for whenever I get to the gig. I walk in the door, plug them in and they're fully charged well before we have the system set up. Since I started using them, I know that I'm playing with a fully charged set of batteries, something that I'd never be able to do unless I put brand new alkaline batteries into my wireless systems.

The iPower batteries are NOT comparable to any of the other 9V rechargeable batteries out there.

Looks interesting, but it's pretty pricey to try the charger and battery. Over $50.

Archived