monitors decisions, never ending...

• Members

You might consider a more reasonable sized power amp for monitors as a first step. That would reducevyour costs considerable. Monitors do not require 1000-1200 watts per box unless you plan on doing only arena and stadium A circuit tours... and you ain't gonna do that on a $3k budget. 500 watts per box (6 feet from your ears) is plenty for anything but the top tier pro applications. Your money would be (way) better spent on the boxes themselves IMO.

• Members

Matt,

You could do allot worse than Yamaha P7000S for your monitors. 700 into 8ohms. Plus they're light.

I'm still waiting for yamaha to put limiters in their amps. I have a P3200, great amp, light, can run my bass at stage volumes no problem for hours without breaking a sweat, but no limiting if something catastrophic happens.

The peavey with DDT however will do the same thing into a partially shorting speaker cabinet (one speaker wire 90% pulled out of connection - only found out afterwards) and create sound even if not the best for four hours without destroying speaker or amp.

Just one thing to consider if you are considering yamaha - accidents happen.

• CMS Author

I think I had a break through last night as I was punching in a ton of numbers into Excel last night at work; so I can budget it all.

What do you think of these two plans of thoughts?

Plan A:

3 JBL MRX512m or Yorkville E12b powered off a PL236 (2 on Channel A and 1 on channel B).

1 CS4080Hz or PL6.0 to drive a pair of UCS1s

Plan B:

3 QSC HPR122i or PRX512m and delay purchase for Sub amp for 6-10 months if I get around to it.

Either should work out fine. I'd be reluctant to dump 1200+watts into a single 15" speaker, but that's up to you.

Archived