Powered Mixer vs. Power Amp

• Members

Agedhorse
I didn't mean to say that there are no great 10 in. manufactured speakers out there. Its just that these sounded really good to me, and I got a little pissed when someone said that they looked like they were worth $79 after all the work I put into them.

When comparing home built speakers to commercial offerings, the common bragging point is how cheap they are compared to commercial ("rip-off") offerings, and the DIY'ers claim that their labor cost them "nothing", but see here that you recognize that it did take a LOT of labor and a LOT of work (which I whole-heartedly agree). When you factor this into the comparison, the DIY cabinets are not quite the bargain they first appear to be.

• Members

When comparing home built speakers to commercial offerings, the common bragging point is how cheap they are compared to commercial ("rip-off") offerings, and the DIY'ers claim that their labor cost them "nothing", but see here that you recognize that it did take a LOT of labor and a LOT of work (which I whole-heartedly agree). When you factor this into the comparison, the DIY cabinets are not quite the bargain they first appear to be.

I agree with you to an extent. IMO, I think that my speakers sound better than any 10s I have ever heard on the market. Most suffer from inadequate bass, and these omnis are awesome for bass. Yes, the speakers took a lot of work and when you factor that in I probably didn't save that much money, but they were fun to build. I certainly liked spending time building them at home rather than working to pay for the labor.

Archived