Gig w/o subs (for a change).

• Members

I have a gig coming up in 2 weeks at a pretty small venue and I'm thinking of scaling down my regular rig (2 JBL MRX512's over Yamaha 18" clubs) and just bringing my old Carvin 2-way 15's for mains.

I'd be running vox, kick, toms and a little guitar.

Where would you cross-over or bass cut to keep the speakers from sounding too muddy? (Yes, I hear the Carvin smack already!)

The room is small enough that stage volume will fill most of it, but I still want the sound to be full.

Of course, I could be less lazy and bring the full rig, but it's a short 2 set night and I'd rather be more compact for easy in & out!

Thanks gang!

Chris

• Members

When you say two-way do you mean two 15" speakers and a horn or just the one 15" speaker and a horn? I'd be tempted to just bring your MRX512's and forget micing the drums if the room doesn't warrant a sub. Just mic vocals and even out the guitars in the mix.

• Members

2-way as in one 15" and one horn... We do play some "dancier" stuff and the kick is pretty important to have prominent in the mix. Even if it's not a big thump, people should be able to hear it. I figured without subs,, the 15's would have a rounder bottom end.

• Members

Don't know the square footage, but 100 people will pack it pretty full. I never see more than 50-75 ppl max in there.

Now I'm leaning toward just bringing the subs and not changing things too drastically with all my settings.

Oh, and I mic everything anyway since I use in-ears!

• Members
Don't know the square footage, but 100 people will pack it pretty full. I never see more than 50-75 ppl max in there.

Now I'm leaning toward just bringing the subs and not changing things too drastically with all my settings.

Oh, and I mic everything anyway since I use in-ears!

If they are just the little single 18" subs, I don't see what the issue would be. They aren't exactly mammoth sized.:wave:

• Members

It's not that the subs are big... It's just that it would be one less power amp, 2 fewer cabinets to lug, along with the cables and power. Less time for setup/tear down.

For a shorter show, I just think it would be nice to lighten the load a little!

Archived