Peavey PR12N Upgrade

• Members

OK, I think I understand the importance of the crossover beyond just the crossover point.

I called Eminence and spoke with a CSR/Engineer. I explained what I was doing and sought his advice on which Compression Driver he would suggest to match the Delta Pro speaker. What I got was an explanation as to why I should consider changing the crossover rather then the compression driver.

From what I have learned, the 1500Hz crossover point and the 400 watt power rating of the PR crossover are acceptable, but the PR crossover does not allow for any adjustment of the LF and HF components in the enclosure. He suggested that I use a crossover that allowed me to adjust the HF output, thus allowing me to adjust the output of the Compression driver to bring it in balance with the LF driver.

He suggested that rather then spending money on a compression driver - that I may not need - that I try to bring the speaker enclosure in balance with the proper crossover (hmm, where have I read that?).

He said that a crossover in the 1500 to 1800Hz range will work for the components that I have. Eminence has a 1600Hz crossover (PX2:1K6) that will meet my needs. I believe that this will fit the cut-out in the PR enclosure as well. I

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Update:

I received the Eminence 1600Hz crossover (PX2:1K6) last week. There is a significant difference between the stock PR12 x-over and the aftermarket x-over. The PR12 x-over is a simple PCB with a few resistors on it. The Eminence crossover is complex by comparison.

I finally had an opportunity to listen to the boxes yesterday.

I started with the HF adjustment pot in the middle (or 5) position. I also flattened the EQ and set my dbx active crossover to 70hz (without using the subs). In this position, the speakers didn't sound very different then they did before the x-over change; the woofer dominated the sound.

I then moved the pot to the 8 position. The HF become overwhelming. Almost painfully so. The output was much beyond what you would expect from turning up HF pot on a mixer. It was like taking the higher 24 frequencies of a 31 band EQ and sliding them up. The change really took me by surprise.

With the pot in the 7 position I finally achieved the balanced output I was seeking. The speakers now sound significantly better then the PR12N's that they started life as.

I then set my dbx active crossover to 110 hz and added one sub (Yorkville Pulse 600) to the mix. The sound out put was pleasing.

I am now quite happy with my changes. I really look forward to giging with these speakers in two weeks.

Was it worth the money - I don't know - and can be debated. Was it worth the effort - yes. I learned something and have something I'm pleased with to show for my effort.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I recently got a PM with regards to this thread, so I'm bringing it back up to give a six-month update.

Six months ago I really hated my FOH speakers. There wasn't a week that went by that I didn't think to myself "I really need some decent FOH speakers". I was constantly searching on the internet for speakers and listening to speakers in stores trying to determine what I wanted and how much I'd have to spend.

Since I made the change 6 months ago, I haven't thought about my FOH speakers once. Not until I got that PM last week. So I started thinking about FOH speakers once again. And my conclusion is that I don't need to be thinking about 'em.

My [PR12 enclosure, Delta Pro, PX2:1K6, RX14, Owings-Cornings] speakers sound pretty darn decent. I DO think about how heavy they are every week I move them, but sound quality is not an issue.

If I had to do it again I might go with the Black Widow LF driver, only because it would have fit the enclosure without modification. Or maybe a Deltalite II since it would have saved about 10 pounds.

But I'm still not in the market for FOH speakers, and that's a good thing, because I'm always looking for something.

Archived