What microphone do you use to mic a sax??

• Members

Believe it or not, I have 3 cheap as hell Behringer mics at the club (they were there before I started there). I ran out of mics one night and was forced to pull these out for some horns. To my complete surprise they sounded pretty damn good. Just as good as a 57 that I've had to use before. I'll only use them on horns though.

• Members

What microphone do you use to mic a sax??

I would say it depends on the player and what you're trying to achieve. If you use one of the "clip on the bell" mics (RF works great here), you won't have to use much compression (or maybe none if the player's dynamics are good). Some of these are pretty high end SD condensers and can sound pretty good. This is by far the best setup if your player is a showman and travels about the stage (a stationary mic won't do here).

Purely for tone quality (this works if your recording or if you have an exceptional player, live) a LD condenser (or even a ribbon) will sound much fuller and more natural. There are a lot of reasons NOT to use LD condensers and ribbons on a stage. These mics should be only used in a precisely controled environment

I have not used an e945 but I have heard them used for vocals and can imagine that it would sound pretty good on sax.

• Members

There are many ways depending on what you are trying to achieve, and the sound of the instrument.

I have used the following all with excellent results depending on the specif needs of the gig:

441, 421, 604, 609, SM-57/58, CAD 95, ATM-25 (barri) etc.

Archived