Thinking about upgrading to a new mic

• Members

I am currently using an Audio Tehcnica MB4k mic with my PA system. I play acoustic guitar and sing, mostly country and rock music. I'm using a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer and a pair of JBL PRX512M's. It's a good mic, but I think I can have something a little bit better. I'm considering the Shure Beta 58A or an Audix OM-5.

Any Suggestions?

• Members

I'm not fond of either one of those myself, but it really depends on how it matches with your voice that matters. One usually can't just guess. I bet you could find a couple things used off Craigslist to try.

Lately my favorite mic has been the new Heil PR35. Other than that I like the regular ol' SM58 and AT41a for most anyone. The Beta has a biting, upper midrange vibe that I don't care for, sometimes on a female it's ok.

• Members

I really like a Beta58 for vocals with a live band, it cuts well, sounds great and has great off-axis rejection. For a solo acoustic act though, it might not be your best choice.

I recently started using a Sennheiser e945, which is an awesome mic. Best dynamic I've ever used. Sounds incredible, very warm yet detailed. Doesn't cut as well as the Shure, but more than makes up for it with tone quality.

• Members

What don't you like about the MB4k? Do you have any issues with feedback?

If the main concern is feedback, you might consider switching to a dynamic mic. If you have no issues with feedback, and you like the way a condenser sounds, (I personally love them) maybe try another condenser. But you need to figure out what you like.......a condenser or a dynamic.

Go to the music store and test out some condenser and dynamic mics before you make a decision. You might find that a nice warm dynamic sound (like a Beta 58) is what you're really after.

Just to put things into perspective, you currently have AT's cheapest condenser. The next step up would be the AT2010 for about $99, then the ATM710 for $159, the AE3300 for $249, and then the AE5400 for $335. If you decide on another condenser, I highly recommend checking out the AE3300 and AE5400. Going from the cheapest AudioTechnica condenser to one of the most expensive ones will probably make you very happy. The AE5400 is VERY high end. If you get a mic like this, it will probably be your last.

Differences I've noticed between the BETA 87A and the AT AEW-T5400 (wireless version of the AE5400):

I personally like the way the BETA 87 sounds a little better, but I think this is because I got very used to the sound of the BETA 87a. I can get the AE5400 to sound similar by giving it a little bump at 5KHz. Not quite as good, but close. Everyone else is in unanimous agreement that my voice sounds better through the AE5400, so this has me at ease on the matter.

The reason I like the AE5400 better is because it has better feedback rejection, and has almost NO proximity effect. The tonal balance stays very consistent regardless of angle or distance from the mic. I can concentrate on singing, and don't have to worry about concentrating on mic technique. The AE5400 is very forgiving in that sense, and in my opinion is a better mic than the 87a for those reasons.

• Members

I love my Shure Beta 58A. I never have problems with headroom or feedback and it sounds great.

I used a Shure SM58 before and I was always struggling to be heard. The Beta 58A was a huge improvement for me. I wrote an article about the Beta 58A on my Blog a while back. You can check it out here.

• Members

I've never been a Beta58 fan, or an OM5 fan. The Beta 87 sounds pretty good. Audix OM7 - good sound, tight pattern. The OM6 is good too.)

The AT AE5400, Heil PR22, and Heil PR35 are several cuts above the others.

Archived