A Very Pleasant Experience

• Members

For all you independent sound guys out there, A big thanks.

I just finished an evening of performing with the group I'm in. We play a variety of music with a latin flair, seeing as we have a trap drummer plus two percussionists. The venue hired an independent sound company ( a one man op ) and he did a GREAT JOB. From what I could see, his gear was a little dated but very high end. TurboSound mains (4), 24 channel Mackie mixer, Crown Micro-tech amps, (8) JBL monitors, etc. Everything was miked and his mix on stage was superb. Of course, it helped that we didn't play LOUD. The gig was outside and I feared the worse but it sounded great! No feedback, everyone could hear everyone else very well, tonality seemed very good and punchy; Man, nothing but praises here. It was truly a pleasure working with a consummate pro. We hope to use the same company again in the future. I just thought you pros could use a "cudos" instead of the curses you may hear from time to time.

• Members

Often, experience plus a little band cooperation goes a long way towards making the sound really good. Glad you got to experience how things usually go a little higher up the foodchain from what many experience regularly.

• Members

Often, experience plus a little band cooperation goes a long way towards making the sound really good. Glad you got to experience how things usually go a little higher up the foodchain from what many experience regularly.

Ditto on that.

• Members

And I worked with a sound company when I played bass tonight. Walk in with a rig, things sounded great, I left. It is a pleasure and worth the money I pay for a good sound company. I also do the same with sound and I'm happy to be on the other side of the board when things go well. (see my july 4th post)

• Members

. Of course, it helped that we didn't play LOUD.

I dig this way of thinking:thu: gives the SE something to strive for not to get frustrated with.:mad: Common mistake here in my neck of the woods these typical R&R bands shows up with halfstacks and 8x10 bass stack and a fully mic'ed drum cage with stage volume great for the area arena but not for the small 100 seater we have here in town and they wonder why they sound like crap and have FB problem.:confused: Hard to get a good sound when your stage volume overpowers everything you throw at it and that's including the kitchen sink. It's common practice here in my neck of the woods.:freak:

• Members

Nice. Glad to hear things went well.

Did you happen to compliment the sound person/co on the PA at the gig? It's a running joke to me and my stage mgr how everyone gets a shout out at gigs but the soundman/crew :)

• Members

"Did you happen to compliment the sound person/co on the PA at the gig? "

Absolutely, on a few occasions. When we introduced each band member, we also thank "Jim" (his name) for his expertise on the sound, to the entire audience. He got recognition and applause. After the show, we thanked him a few more times, told him what a great job he did, how we would like to use him in the future and got his card. I don't know if we could afford him at every gig but certainly the more important and better paying ones we will definitely ask for him.

Archived