What kind (how big) of generator...?

• Members

Hi :wave:

I need some help here. What kind of generator would we need to put on an outdoor show ? A potential client is asking. There's got to be someone here smarter than me about this stuff. :confused:

Our PA is pretty standard. 4 power amps, mixer, crossover, mains, subs, monitors...

For lighting we have twelve 150 watt bulbs.

Then there's the stage with 3 amps, a couple keyboards...

Any idea what we can tell these folks ? I'll be back in an hour.

Thanks. :)

• Members

Something in the 10kVA minimum range. Personally, I'd get a tow behind 20+kVA unit because of better regulation and reliability. Be sure to connect a dummy load to stabilize the generator (a 300 watt light bulb) and insure that the provider includes proper earth grounding kit/equipment for safety.

• Members

+1 on what Andy said.

My band is capable of pulling about 35-40 amps total with everything running wide open, (lights-amps-backline-FOH) which is never. (more like 30-35 amps) I just did a show last week using a 20kva gennie on a trailer and it worked perfect. (I was told it will produce 70 amps total.) We are using the same one in 2 weeks.

Tip: drive the ground rod in at an angle so when you pull it out of the ground you can use a truck and chain. Works WAAAY eaiser than trying to pull it out by hand.

Also +1 on the 300 watt light bulb for voltage reg and gennie running quietly. Otherwise the motor tends to speed up unnecessarily.

Go rent a newer gennie (no older than 5 years) and you'll be walkin' in tall cotton.

Archived